Possible rust?

Evolution85

Hey guys. 

just took my new M2 out for about 3-4 pheasant hunts over the past 3 weeks.  I’d say on average shot 4-12 shots per outing because the size of the groups

i didn’t think I’d need to clean my barrel so soon and wondering if you guys think this is rust

i let the hoppes sit for 10 minutes and then cleaned as usual and looked fine after the black residue came out with clean patches. But after I ran oil thru the patch came

out kind of brown in streaks?  After 3-4 passes it wasn’t bad at all, but curious what caused it to be brown?

E466B020-7E48-4ECD-88F1-CD23BCD7D297.jpeg

Nope., not rust. It looks like powder residue to me.

I've hunted weeks at a time in cold and wet, during waterfowl seasons with no cleaning and no Ill effect on my SBE. That gun is 26 years old now and still looks and works like new. Good maintenance is always good, but unless spending time in salt water areas, I wouldn't think you'd have any issues going that long between cleaning. That said, if you do have to "ride hard and put it away wet", I'd check it thoroughly when you are done and put protectant on it.

Edited by bambihunter

These are fine arms. There is no such thing as being over protective. If you don't already know, one mistake people often make is to use a wet lube on the magazine tube, recoil tube in the butt stock, or putting too much of it on the bolt rails. Always use dry lube on the mag and recoil tubes and either use dry on the rails, or run light oil only. Otherwise, they'll catch dust and dirt and will gunk up to the point that they may not cycle. This is particularly important on fall hunts where the grasses and such are all dry. With wet lube, dropping a shell on the ground and putting it in the gun can start the process.

I believe all Benelli shotgun barrels are chrome lined. This aids in cleaning, as well as a major rust preventative on the inside.

4 minutes ago, bambihunter said:

These are fine arms. There is no such thing as being over protective. If you don't already know, one mistake people often make is to use a wet lube on the magazine tube, recoil tube in the butt stock, or putting too much of it on the bolt rails. Always use dry lube on the mag and recoil tubes and either use dry on the rails, or run light oil only. Otherwise, they'll catch dust and dirt and will gunk up to the point that they may not cycle. This is particularly important on fall hunts where the grasses and such are all dry. With wet lube, dropping a shell on the ground and putting it in the gun can start the process.

I believe all Benelli shotgun barrels are chrome lined. This aids in cleaning, as well as a major rust preventative on the inside.

I watched several videos about cleaning the M2 and I do not recall any discussion of dry lubes.  This is good to know and will start this. Thank you!

I would go as far as to call it nearly critical in the mag and recoil tubes in field guns. I can't recall how many shotguns I have bought from hunters in our extended hunting group. They complained that their gun was a POS and jammed all the time. I'd take it home, and clean those two areas, put on dry, and took it hunting next time. Many times the same person bought it back after seeing the issue was gone.

Take care and enjoy your new Benelli. ?