Is Benelli M2 Ok for Skeet ?

Satriany

Hey there ;)

I want to get a Benelli M2 for skeet. Why this one because I have always wanted a Benelli and a M one, this is a dream.

But a lot of people are telling me that this shotgun will suck for skeet, that it is not meant to shot 50 shells a week and that a lot of details make this shotgun not OK for skeet.

So I'd like to get some american opinions and even better from owners.

Thanks a lot, Greg.

[ 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Satriany ]

My father-in-law got an M2 this past summer and we both shot skeet with it about every other weekend. Usually 3 rounds per afternoon x2, that's 150 shots in about a 2 hour period. The gun never malfunctioned. We were using Fiocci 2 3/4 loads. I really liked it, but I think I am leaning towards the Cordoba for myself.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

I have an M2 field with a wood stock and 28 inch barrel. I use it for Trap, 5-Stand, Sproting Clays and hunting. I have compared the recoil of this configuration against the comfortech stocks using the same loads through a round of 5-stand (25 Birds) and cannot tell the difference in recoil. I did notice slightly less recoil with the Beretta 390's though. But not enough difference to offset all of the jamming issues that I have seen with them at the range and sporting clays courses.

I average about 3 flats a month for the clay sports with out any gun related failures to fire. THis is over a 1.5 year period that I have had this gun. I use 2.75" 2.75Dram Eq., 1 ounce #8s for my clays shooting.

In the hunting department I bagged 14 pheasant last year, but so far none this year.

This year I went on a goose hunt where I ussed 3" #2 and #B heavy shot. I could not tell the difference in recoil between these shells and the 1 ounce target loaads that I use. THis is after going through 2 boxes of each. I was able to get 3 nice canadians. Part of this trip was also a duck hunt and it performed great there as well. This time I was using 2.75" #4 heavy shot with out any noticeable differences in recoil. I was only able to get 2 ducks though. One was a nice mallard drake and the other was a pintail drake. Since the linmit here includes only 1 pintail, and most all of the ducks that were cooperating were pintails that limited my bag.

So I think that you can say the M2 is a pretty good gun for your needs.

Mike ;)

• 14 years later...
On 12/15/2005 at 2:46 PM, Satriany said:

Hey there ;)

I want to get a Benelli M2 for skeet. Why this one because I have always wanted a Benelli and a M one, this is a dream.

But a lot of people are telling me that this shotgun will suck for skeet, that it is not meant to shot 50 shells a week and that a lot of details make this shotgun not OK for skeet.

So I'd like to get some american opinions and even better from owners.

Thanks a lot, Greg.

[ 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Satriany ]

They don’t know what they are talking about. I have shot case of Skeet rounds, Turkey rounds, ducks and geese loads and have never had the first problem. Bob Knapp shots thousand of shells and if they were not designed for this it would not hold up. 

I agree with Songdog, they don't know what they are talking about. In my opinion, they either can't afford one for themselves so they are disparaging it so you don't have a nicer/better gun. Or, they've never fired a Benelli; Any Benelli...

The only Benelli's that wouldn't be great for skeet are the "tactical" versions with short barrels and without interchangeable chokes. I've got a 1994 HK Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have never replaced a single part in it. I take it goose hunting up in Canada and it is not uncommon to shoot 200 3.5" mags over the course of the long week(s) of hunting.

If you are only going to skeet and no hunting, then most any of the Benelli line would suite you well. Parts are still readily available so should be able to find anything you ever need anything, or want options (such as pistol grip stock, extended magazine, and/or short barrel for home defense). Some say the M4 model has lighter recoil since it is a gas operated gun not an inertia gun like the rest. Personally, I don't really notice it. But, my M4's are of the 'tactical' variety so that may be part of it.

I'd suggest finding a brick and mortar store in your area that is a Benelli dealer and go hold a few models. Sometimes one has an idea of what they want, but once it is in their hands, it may not fit right and another model might be just what you are after.