Weekend Trigger Project

Heynowwwww

It's not too tough a job but it does appear daunting at first.  It will definitely boost your confidence once completed.  Stranger's guiding light is as always, awesome. 

I think the most difficult part of all is getting all the parts lined-up to insert the trigger pin bushing.  The trigger pin bushing retaining pin spring (or trigger guard pin spring) can be a pain as well.  You'll notice that the trigger pin bushing has slots cut into it, one on each side.  I've found that if you line up the jaws of the pin spring so that they feed into those slots it is much easier.  Just line everything up and put you thumb over the pin and the spring to hold everything in-place and use a flat head screw driver to push it and seat it in- place.  You might want to play with those 2 pieces before even starting the re-assembly just to see how they work together and how tight they fit.

Good luck, we're all depending on you.

My least favorite part is the disconnector pin. Sometimes they don’t fit very well. I installed a customers last night that absolutely refused to go into the FFT disconnector. Swapping the pin for a new one I had fixed it. 

I’ve been seeing a lot of FFT kits needing fitting on the disconnector hook side lately. Doesn’t matter if it is the polymer frame or the A&S Engineering frame. The hammer ends up hanging on the disconnector hook. Fitting takes some care with a good hand file to gain clearance. 

I didn't mention above but I am building a trigger with brand new parts  rather than using the trigger that came with the gun.  This way I know I have a working trigger and can also use it for a reference to make sure my new one is working correctly.  Someone asked for the parts I used.  They are listed below along with where I found them:

AFTERMARKET PARTS

Enhanced Trigger Guard - No logo (includes a trigger pin and the safety plunger retaining pin)- A&S Engineering

Shotgun Reduced Effort Trigger Spring Pack (Primarily for Reduced Effort Safety Spring and Benelli Part - 70004 - Shell Release Lever Spring) - A&S Engineering

FFT Trigger Pack Upgrade and Wolff Trigger Springs - Freedom Fighter Tactical

FFT Worry-Free Extended Carrier - Freedom Fighter Tactical

Benelli Oversized Safety - Dave’s Metal Works

BENELLI OEM PARTS

70013 - Carrier Spring Plunger - Numrich Gun Parts

70018 - Breech Bolt Latch Pin  - Numrich Gun Parts

70023 - Trigger Pin - Numrich Gun Parts

70022 - Shell Release Lever - Numrich Gun Parts

70017 - Breech Bolt Latch - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70005 - Safety Plunger - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70008 - Disconnector Plunger - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70016 - Hammer Spring Cap - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70007 - Disconnector Pin - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70019 - Trigger Guard Pin - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70021 - Trigger Pin Bushing - Freedom Fighter Tactical

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

My least favorite part is the disconnector pin. Sometimes they don’t fit very well. I installed a customers last night that absolutely refused to go into the FFT disconnector. Swapping the pin for a new one I had fixed it. 

I’ve been seeing a lot of FFT kits needing fitting on the disconnector hook side lately. Doesn’t matter if it is the polymer frame or the A&S Engineering frame. The hammer ends up hanging on the disconnector hook. Fitting takes some care with a good hand file to gain clearance. 

Thank you.  I believe I have the problem you mention.  Can you be specific on what / where you filed to fix?  I appreciate it sir.

1 hour ago, Heynowwwww said:

I didn't mention above but I am building a trigger with brand new parts  rather than using the trigger that came with the gun.  This way I know I have a working trigger and can also use it for a reference to make sure my new one is working correctly.  Someone asked for the parts I used.  They are listed below along with where I found them:

AFTERMARKET PARTS

Enhanced Trigger Guard - No logo (includes a trigger pin and the safety plunger retaining pin)- A&S Engineering

Shotgun Reduced Effort Trigger Spring Pack (Primarily for Reduced Effort Safety Spring and Benelli Part - 70004 - Shell Release Lever Spring) - A&S Engineering

FFT Trigger Pack Upgrade and Wolff Trigger Springs - Freedom Fighter Tactical

FFT Worry-Free Extended Carrier - Freedom Fighter Tactical

Benelli Oversized Safety - Dave’s Metal Works

BENELLI OEM PARTS

70013 - Carrier Spring Plunger - Numrich Gun Parts

70018 - Breech Bolt Latch Pin  - Numrich Gun Parts

70023 - Trigger Pin - Numrich Gun Parts

70022 - Shell Release Lever - Numrich Gun Parts

70017 - Breech Bolt Latch - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70005 - Safety Plunger - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70008 - Disconnector Plunger - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70016 - Hammer Spring Cap - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70007 - Disconnector Pin - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70019 - Trigger Guard Pin - Freedom Fighter Tactical

70021 - Trigger Pin Bushing - Freedom Fighter Tactical

Very timely post since I am looking to have an extra trigger group to send to Briley, while I have my mostly stock one here so I can still use the gun during the 5 wks down time.

That is unless SD might have a complete 922R compliant polymer trigger pack lying around that he wants to sell (hint hint).

Edited by Nocturnalnature

1 hour ago, Heynowwwww said:

Thank you.  I believe I have the problem you mention.  Can you be specific on what / where you filed to fix?  I appreciate it sir.

Here is a photo of a trigger pack I put together. Everything was NP3 plated. Anyway, you can see the hammer sear in contact with the trigger sear. When you press the trigger, the sear releases and drops the hammer. Now you see the disconnector just behind the hammer hook. The way it works is when you press and hold the trigger to the rear, the trigger assembly rocks forward slightly. The hammer hook when pressed past the disconnector will be captured by the disconnector's sear. When the trigger is released, the hammer hook slips off the disconnector and is captured by the trigger sear. This is the click noise you hear when releasing the trigger.

What I'm seeing with the FFT kits lately is the hammer is getting stuck on the disconnector sear even when the trigger is released. To fix this, you have to use a metal file to remove material from the hammer hook that is getting stuck on the disconnector. I like to use a file with a safe edge, which means the sides of the file do not have serrations so it doesn't dig into the hammer. I take about 20 licks with the file and test the engagement. You'll start to feel where it goes from being stuck to just catching on the sear. You want to try to keep the filing even across the face of the sear. I certainly would not use any kind of power tools to remove material. You want to only remove enough material where it cleanly slips past the disconnector. If you remove too much material, you'll make the action unsafe since the hammer may slip thru both sears and drop hammer unintentionally.

Naturally if you don't want to deal with this, I can assist if you need.

NocturnalNature - Sent you an email. I forgot to reply the other day. Sorry!

nutoAKl.jpg?1

• Upvote 1

It’s pretty easy and safe to do. It isn’t as critical of a sear contact. As the trigger/hammer sear which influences the trigger pull feel. All this sear does is capture the hammer until the trigger is released. 

Having a vice is almost a must. You’ll find when the hammer is stuck on the disconnector, you’ll have to get creative to release the hammer. 

You can push on the disconnector with a tool to rock the disconnector to the rear while taking the tension off of the hammer to get the hammer to release. Keep control of the hammer so it doesn’t fall uncontrolled. You end up testing a few dozen times where you cock the hammer and see if it hangs up on the disconnector. If so, release the hammer and file bit. Retest over and over. It’ll go from being outright stuck to momentarily hanging on the disconnector to freely passing it by unless the trigger is being pressed.

• 2 weeks later...