No Modification M4 Heat Shield Recommendations

DEBWB

I did a search before asking this question because I'm sure its been discussed before, but couldn't get a hit. I was watching a youtube, of someone shooting their M4, and they were complaining about the barrel being hot when reloading. He said he was going to buy a heat shield, but failed to mention what brand he was going to buy. Doing some internets searching; I see ATI mentioned quite a bit, but that seems to be more of a quad rail addition than a heat shield. I don't want to make any modification to the shotgun; just a bolt-on is my goal. Any recommendations, opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dkay67 said:

I reckon he's talking more like the addon to mossberg 590 tactical shotguns that mount near the top of the barrel as a shroud, such as ?

50648_01.jpg

Yes, this is more like what I thought youtuber was talking about. He definitely said barrel heat shield.

• Like 1

Maybe I should ask if anyone here has actually added one of these, thinks this would be a good mod or totally unnecessary??? I'm still not sure one even exists. Maybe it was just the way he was loading it; upside down with stock resting on his shoulder and muzzle point down.

After starting this topic; I started to think it probably was a very unusual loading method. Still wouldn't mind finding out if they even make one for this shotgun. I think I would like the look; not necessarily need it... Thanks everyone for commenting.

12 hours ago, Dkay67 said:

I reckon he's talking more like the addon to mossberg 590 tactical shotguns that mount near the top of the barrel as a shroud, such as ?

50648_01.jpg

Yes, I get that... However as far as I know, there's no simple bolt on option for such. The Briley guard us the closest thing to what he's looking for as a bolt on. It allows for flipping and grabbing over the barrel (or laying on his shoulder) to load. The guard wraps mostly over the barrel.

15 hours ago, Wreckless said:

The reason that guy “needs” a heat shield is that he flips the gun over and lays the barrel on his shoulder to reload. That is not an approved technique.

Missed that I guess....

Mine goes the other way, stock on shoulder, muzzle to ground

I used to flip the gun over and hold it with my left hand and load with my right.  After 10-11 rounds fired the barrel was hot, but not too hot to hold while recharging the mag tube with another 10 rounds. 

I've learned better.

Now I keep my right hand grip on the stock and just rotate the gun so the loading port is upright (or nearly so).  The butt of the stock stays wedged in my armpit for a stable grip.  I then load with my left hand - similar to replacing a mag in a pistol or AR.  When loading is complete, my right hand is already in its proper position and I just rotate the gun upright and against my shoulder while re-affirming the proper left handed grip on the fore end.

I, too, flip the gun over to load and a heatshield is mandatory. I have an ATI Raven forend and matching heatshield. The heatshield screws on to the forend, so no modifications to the gun.  Here is a picture looking down the barrel. I don't believe these are produced any longer. Note: ATI sold these as part of a full kit. The ATI Raven stock was too heavy and cumbersome, the mag extension was worthless, and the forward rail section would never stay tight. The forend and heatshield were the only valuable parts.

732742807_20190627_124123(1).thumb.jpg.8e359ba96bc4c725f2e46d861b46f904.jpg

Edited by NoTycoon

• 8 months later...

Adapted a mossberg 590 heatshield to an m4 clone as an experiment.  

the rear clip of the heatshield must be trimmed to clear the pistons. Then the plastic handguard must be relieved to accommodate the clips. This locks the heatshield onto the handguard and prevents it from walking during recoil. 

02387B95-6C80-4E6A-8C32-8990B09B4617.jpeg

I have a Briley fore end on my M4 but I have a couple of Mossberg's with heat shields as pictured. The problem with them IMO is they are a pain to get off to oil the barrel and I always worry about rust forming under them that I wouldn't notice. I solved that problem for me by Cerakoting those guns. The Briley is a much better option than a standard heat shield and it is fairly easy to remove using no tools. It does nearly enclose the entire barrel so heat isn't a problem.

I noticed I kept burning just my left thumb at times during reload when hot. I looked into heat shield options but didn't like the aesthetics of anything I saw out there so I got a bit creative and just re-purposed an offset m-lok scout light mount to the top of my AA handguard and put grip tape over it giving me about an inch right above the barrel where my thumb would normally touch. No more hot thumb since. I can post pictures for reference later when home.