Super Black Eagle vs. SBE II

ua1997

Originally posted by ua1997:

any suggestions? I've found a SBE (new) for $899 but could also buy a SBEII for less than $1000 (new).

Is there that much of a difference? and if so, what is it? Is it worth it to pay the extra money for the II?

Yes, if you also want to add a slug barrel the slug barrel for SBE and SBEII is exactly the same but the SBE will require that you buy a new fore end (about $100.00). The SBEII on the other hand does not require a new fore end to fit the slug barrel giving a potential saving to you of at least $100.

[ 12-10-2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: LawForUSA ]

So is it worth it to pay for the camo, especially for duck hunting? I've gotten mixed reviews on the black vs. camo and its ability to fight off rusting (durability).

any suggestions? I've found a SBE (new) for $899 but could also buy a SBEII for less than $1000 (new).

Is there that much of a difference? and if so, what is it? Is it worth it to pay the extra money for the II?

I have a black SBEII which has seen it's share of rain & wet. While it hasn't rusted up, for some reason the "finish" hasn't inspired confidence in me. Little telltale signs here and there that it WANTS to rust. (under the slug barrel sights for instance) I'm not familiar with camo finishes; primarily because to me they take a $1,400.00 work of art and turn it into a kindergarten finger painting ... but I think I read a military study on camouflage where the face, back of your hands, and black silhouette of the firearm are the most visible and most likely to get you “noticed” at any distance. The study would indicate that you should cover or paint your face and hands ... and that a camo firearm would probably be an advantage. SO ... if the camo finish fights off rust better than the black and is sturdy; from a strictly functional standpoint; (personal esthetic preferences aside) it’s probably the better choice.

Butch

Benelli SBE II

Benelli SBE II - Black Matte - "26 inch barrel.

This is the one I'd buy. Me, and 3 other people are I know all have the same gun....except 2 of them are older SBE's. We've had tons of hunts with them and never a problem.

I thought rust might be a problem too....and I heard that the CAMO ones peeled. So I bought mine in BLACK MATTE. We've never had any problems with any of them. So that's what I'd go wtih.

IdahoDucker, I agree with you on that point 100%.

I have several black Benellis and several camo Benellis, and I think their finishes hold up really well, particularly for how hard they're hunted.

I've always thought that those inevitable little knicks, scrapes, and scratches that happen when hunting are hard earned battle scars, and lend some honest character to the weapon.

I have "pretty" guns but my Benellis are tools, that's one of the reasons I like them so well. Because to me their beauty lies in the fact that they're tough, rugged, all conditions, terrible weather shotguns. And a few mars and scars here and there just serve to remind me of that fact.

What's the motto? "Performance worth the price." Not "finish worth the price." If that was the deal they'd have to charge another grand for it.

I'll take an ugly gun that works over a pretty gun I'm affraid to use any day. No $3000 a season clubs for me. I hunt my birds and my dog, my friends and I work hard for them and that means my gun is going to get some rough treatment. Beat the tar out of it and it still performs like it did out of the box. Better than ever actually. I wore out two shotguns in 21 years of hunting(neither a Benelli) so now I'm going to see if I can wear out a Benelli.

• 11 months later...

where did you find a SBEII for less than a thousand dollars????????????????