New SBE I question.....

d9lowe

My father passed a few years ago, and we finally split the guns up amongst us brothers. I got his SBE 1. According to the two letter date code, it was made in '02. The gun is brand new in the case and has never had a round put through it. I dont think it was ever assembled as the barrel is still in the plastic. 

I am wating on a new bolt handle to come in the mail. It must have fallen out at some point as i couldn't find it in the case.

Is there anything i should replace before trying to fire this shotgun. I know the firing pin spring is under constant pressure. Will 20 years under pressure cause it any issues??? 

Thanks for any responses. Dad won the gun in a Superbowl raffle 20 years ago and never did anything with it.

Derek

Very cool story, the only thing you may encounter is cycling issues with your gun because of the age of the recoil spring.  Regardless if the gun has every been shot or not, your recoil spring is close to 30 years old.  Gun Springs not only have a cycle life per say but also are sometimes more effected by the age of the metal.

I would advise shooting the gun with 1 1/8 oz minimums as the gun was designed and see how it goes.  Please reach out if you may need additional assistance. 

I doubt you'd sell an heirloom, but I'd be interested in a new original SBE 1.

I've been using the same springs in my HK import SBE since 1995. Tens of thousands of rounds, including more than its fair share of 3.5" mags. Zero issues. Unless this is something used for defensive situations, I'd use it as is until I needed to change them. If concerned, order spares to have on hand.

If you aren't used to these, one thing to note is these generally take at least 1oz dram shotshells to function properly, occasionally 1 1/8 oz.

Are you sure yours is a SBE 1? For that time frame, it will be a Benelli USA model and most likely have the higher rib barrel. They did make the high rib for a brief time for the SBE I while still using the original chokes.  Do you know if it has Mobil chokes or the Cryo version? Mobil chokes (threads at the very end of the barrel) should be SBE1. I believe all SBE II's use Cryo chokes. Also, the slug version of SBE I, and SBE II's have a longer barrel lug. Pictures might help explain what I am referring to:

1735899028_SBEwithtext.thumb.jpg.543e2253fa570a1b7c270bdf4a0168cd.jpg

Bambihunter,

Thanks for the info. Yes it has a set of the screw in chokes with threads. I see 4 in individual containers and one currently in the barrel and there is also a removal tool. There is a "BS" stamped by the trigger that i have read means the gun was manufacured in 2002. Here is a picture of how i received it from my brother, before i put it together 

20210731_110134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding whether it is a SBE 1 and SBE 2, I can't tell with the plastic over the barrel, is it a high rib model? Honestly, I think that is a SBE II and not 1. The triangular safety makes me think SBE II. I don't know if they had any camo models on 1. But, a SBE II would likely have a ComforTech stock and this one doesn't. Does it say Benelli USA on the side or Heckler and Koch? Are the chokes thread at the very tip of the barrel or back just a bit? This may have been what I refer to as an unofficial 1.5. Where they have aspects of both. The HK imported ones are desired due to their ability to ghost load. However, there is more parts availability for the SBE II models.

Either way, you've got a great gun.Take care of it and it should last a lifetime. I've got at least 25 years on my original one and it is still going strong. If you ever decide to sell, I'm always open for another. ?

It's a later model SBE. (There was no "SBE 1" - the originals were SBE, followed by SBE II and SBE 3)  The trigger guard is rounded, not squared off in front like the SBE II and the forearm is the original fat version rather than the slimmer version of the II.  It's a later model because it has the stamped/riveted steel link attached to the bolt rather than the original cast version which were subject to breakage.  I replaced two of the originals on colleagues' guns after they broke hunting geese in Canada shooting tons of 3.5 inch goose loads.

Edited by truckcop

On 8/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, d9lowe said:

Had time to finally take the gun out yesterday. Fired 1 1/4 oz 2.75 shells out of it and everything cycled fine!!! Awesome gun. Thanks for all the help!

Derek

Derek,

Truckcop is correct about identifying your gun.  If it were my gun, having worked on over 935 Benelli's I would freshen up the gun by removing the recoil spring, replace it, once the locktit is broken you will have the opportunity to clean the recoil spring tube annually.  Spring rates very from spring to spring, even if they come from the same lot.  I have replaced simo serial number M1's after 1 year and SBE original H&K with pinned recoil spring tube nut/screw after 25 plus years.

A great test for any Benelli is shooting directly overhead shots on cold day, your rotating bolt will then have face the force of gravity as it returns into battery.  Shouldering, out of tolerance BB's shot shells are other factors that challenge Benelli shotguns, there are other factors as well.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, truckcop said:

It's a later model SBE. (There was no "SBE 1" - the originals were SBE, followed by SBE II and SBE 3) 

While you are technically correct, I was using SBE 1 to denote the original as a separate model. All 3 models are colloquially as SBE. So, I used 1 to denote I was basically asking if it was NOT an SBE 2 or 3.

I am still rocking the original cast recoil rod link and springs in mine. I still (26 years now) put at least a couple thousand rounds a year through mine. Maybe I am just lucky. Maybe it is because I am meticulous in cleaning even though these don't need much except after a dunk in the water which has happened several times to me duck hunting. I don't know.