12 Gauge Snap Caps - Recommendations

Milspec

I have some B's snap caps and to my dismay I just found out the casing portion is not brass.  They appear to be some kind of plated steel.

I've dropped a few during ejection and the edges of some have been roughed up.  Just a little concerned that this might be too rough on the inside of certain mag tubes (titanium, carbon fiber, plastic).

Need to find some better quality brass snap caps.

Thanks,

B's told me they're brass.  However, one has to wonder why a magnet sticks to them?  There has to be enough steel in there to attract a magnet.

To my knowledge brass is comprised of copper and zinc.  Neither are "magnetic" as far as I know.

I made my own.  

just take some spent shells the length you want to use, make sure the shot and wadding are gone.  Weigh a standard shell thats the size you are wanting to make.  

take the empty hulls and fill them with rice or whatever small material that will get you to the weight of the rounds you want to duplicate.  I used rice.  Leave a bit of room at the top and get a $10 hot glue gun from Walmart and fill the remaining space on top of the material you filled it with and let it harden.  You can also put a dab of the hot glue on top of the fired primer to give you a bit of “cushion” for your firing pin. 
After they’re nice and dry they’ll be hard as a standard shell.  You can trim the end to your wishes and you’ll end up with fairly nice practice rounds. 

I painted mine bright Orange so I’d never get them mixed up.  I use mine to practice loading and unloading and basic operations in my M1.

they serve the purpose for which I wanted them.  It beats paying $12 for 2 snap caps to me. 
goid luck in your search.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Milspec said:

Thanks,

B's told me they're brass.  However, one has to wonder why a magnet sticks to them?  There has to be enough steel in there to attract a magnet.

To my knowledge brass is comprised of copper and zinc.  Neither are "magnetic" as far as I know.

I have the Fiocchi dummy rounds and just went to check...

Where the finish has worn on the base they are silver, and a magnet sticks...which would lead me to believe they are steel. But I also checked some of my brass Winchester, Hornady, and Federal rounds and the magnet sticks to them too. 

Edited by kwb377

3 hours ago, kwb377 said:

I have the Fiocchi dummy rounds and just went to check...

Where the finish has worn on the base they are silver, and a magnet sticks...which would lead me to believe they are steel. But I also checked some of my brass Winchester, Hornady, and Federal rounds and the magnet sticks to them too. 

I just got a case or Winchester Super Target to brake in a couple scatter guns.  Don't want to burn up a bunch of expensive buck and slugs.  The cases are silver and magnetic.  IDK maybe I've created a nothing burger here.

WINST2.png

Edited by Milspec

I don't use anything for magazines or practice racking shells from magazine or anything similar. Mine is JUST for dropping in the chamber and dry firing it to relieve the firing spring pressure. On my seldom used shotguns I used the "Snap Cap" brand. I used them for many of most of my guns already. However, for my SBE and 20 gauge Montefeltro of my wife's, we shoot them enough I wanted more longevity than I thought those might give. I got Tipton's for that. They have a spring in them instead of just the material most other have.
These are what the Tipton's look like:

image.png.34713db676af2878d337797de9ed832e.png