Benelli Locktite guy must be getting lazy- mag tube off in 4 minutes . . .

Bolt_308

So if you recall, I am the guy that posted a couple weeks ago about how I had bought my first M4 and right away had to send it back to Benelli due to it grinding and not to spec. The update to that M4 btw is that it went back to Benelli, and has been there for 2 weeks so far.  Sigh.  Well, my plan had been to eventually get a collapsing C-stock, but as you know, they are unobtainable right now, or just crazy expensive.  Sooooo, impatient me struck on the idea of buying a second gun, an M1014, then once i get the M4 back from Benelli, swap out the recoil tube to get a fully functioning C-stock!  I will then sell the extra M4 to a buddy of mine who has full disclosure that it no longer has the three position tube and is fine with it.  Win win- I get the full collapsing Cstock, and he gets a M4 for a greatly reduced cost from me.

ANYWAYS, so while my first M4 is at the shop, I found and bought a M1014, and have been decking it out.  I had purchased one of the Briley carbon fiber mag tube, but had been very scared to tackle the job, fearing all the horror stories about how you had to heat it forever, and be prepared for gobs of red locktite everywhere.  So got everything together, stripped down the M1014, took a deep breath, and started heating with a heat gun.  I started a timer, settling in for the long haul.

Around 4 minutes in, again impatient me thought Ehhhh lets give it a test, knowing it wasnt going to budge and I was just being silly.  Imagine my AMAZEMENT when IT TURNED!!!  I was completely caught off guard, quickly grabbing my oven mitts, and started turning. LO AND BEHOLD, it screwed right off!!!  I was like WHAAAT???  Inspecting the threading, there was NO residue on the reciever.  There was a TINY bit of red locktite on the mag tube threads, and that was IT! SO I gave it a couple of minutes for the receiver to cool, although it really wasnt that hot, screwed on the carbon fiber tube, and reinstalled everything.  All said and done, maybe less that 10 minutes!  The carbon fiber tube is AWESOME btw, makes the front end way lighter.  I had ordered a Carriercomp TI tube which is still on order, and will test it when it arrives, but man the Briley tube is very nice.  Anyways that’s my story, happy to have a win after the hell of having to send a brand new M4 to Benelli.  Maybe I just got lucky, maybe Benelli is taking pity on the American market knowing we are all going to change out the tube, or maybe they are just being lazy/cutting more corners, but I WILL TAKE IT!

686372B3-7947-414E-B40F-AB1DB890E516.jpeg

Edited by Bolt_308
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Bolt_308 changed the title to Benelli Locktite guy must be getting lazy- mag tube off in 4 minutes . . .
9 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Looks good. What mrds is that? Does it cowitness with irons, or does the window block them?

It’s the Holosun 508T - the titanium version.  I like the titanium version as it is slightly lighter, but more importantly doesnt have all the big bright white holosun lettering ;-), and the titanium color matches the M4 well.  This particular one is one of the older Titanium versions before they switched to a more square profile on the new ones. It is a lower 1/3 co witness with the Saberworks SYNC mount for M4s.  It is actually slightly lower than 1/3, just barely rising above the bottom of the viewing window, and is perfect IMO.  Just enough there that if the red dot malfunctions you have irons right there ready to go, but when red dot is working, is out of the way and doesnt clutter the sight picture.

5 hours ago, Bolt_308 said:

It’s the Holosun 508T - the titanium version.  I like the titanium version as it is slightly lighter, but more importantly doesnt have all the big bright white holosun lettering ;-), and the titanium color matches the M4 well.  This particular one is one of the older Titanium versions before they switched to a more square profile on the new ones. It is a lower 1/3 co witness with the Saberworks SYNC mount for M4s.  It is actually slightly lower than 1/3, just barely rising above the bottom of the viewing window, and is perfect IMO.  Just enough there that if the red dot malfunctions you have irons right there ready to go, but when red dot is working, is out of the way and doesnt clutter the sight picture.

Just to be sure I understand, is it more of a 1/4 co witness, or 3/5 co witness. Like, decently there, or "If i crank the rear sight down it may go away, actually"?

2 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

Just to be sure I understand, is it more of a 1/4 co witness, or 3/5 co witness. Like, decently there, or "If i crank the rear sight down it may go away, actually"?

Here, I tried to take a couple pictures of the sight picture, however that is SUPER hard to do with all the focusing issues with a camera!  Nice thing too about the Holosuns is that they have the ‘Eotech’ style circle/dot, which I think works really well for this sight picture and for shotguns in general.  Hopefully it makes sense, but with normal eyes up, the rear ‘ghost’ ring of the sight truly goes ‘ghost’ and disappears.  However if red dot were to go out, could drop head just slightly, and able to still quickly use irons.  This is all sighted in to home defense distances.  I think it would take a lot of cranking down to totally lose the use of the iron sights, which then would not be zeroed correctly.  For me, only going to be using this at HD distances, so it works perfect for having the irons out of the way when 99.9% of the time i am using the red dot to sight in, but then the 1% chance that the red dot goes out, I am still in business.  FYI too that I chose the Modlite as my light of choice on this gun because they have a very tight focused beam- you can use it as a sighting solution as well in a true pickle . . . LMK if that makes sense!

1AE9DD74-1985-42F5-966F-112836F4F91D.jpeg

1DFEFF0A-9B8D-47FB-B20E-BFD1B8B37829.jpeg

1 hour ago, Unobtanium said:

Thats nice. Im very tempted to buy one and check it out through night vision. Did you use scalarworks screws, or holosuns, to mount it to the sw mount?

Hmm not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure I used screws that came with the Holosun, as they are Torx.  I test fit it before installing, and the first screws I used were too long, stuck out the bottom of the Scarworks mount. Tried the shorter screws, and they fit perfectly, getting full ‘bite’, without sticking out below.