Fetter 00 buck

StreetSweeper56

My local Academy Sports had Fetter 00 buck on sale so I bought a few boxes, I had never heard of them. They were shorter so I was able to get 7 in the tube of my M4 which is nice. I was just reading they're made in Russia, are inconsistent and dirty. I shot over 100, they all went bang, patterened nicely and shot cleanly. A lot less expensive than other shells and 7 in a tube is a winner in my book. Anybody else ever tried these?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting, I shot 7 boxes with zero failures. I didn't notice any burred edges but I'm not the brightest crayon in the box so I may have missed it. I'll try some in a Vepr 12 I have but its never failed either. Maybe that's what the reviewer meant by "inconsistent". I'm going to start a database of actual calipered shell lengths of different brands. I REALLY want 7 shells in the tube!

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 8:30 AM, Ben elLes said:

I have a box of 25, I haven’t shot them, but the sharp burred edges of the shell make them get stuck in the feeding area when racking by hand.  Still need to try them out for real but I’m expecting the gun to not fully cycle the next round.

I inspected several random boxes I have, all shells were smooth as a baby's bottom. IDK about yours, maybe they got caught in the cabbage shredder/borscht maker.

6 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I inspected several random boxes I have, all shells were smooth as a baby's bottom. IDK about yours, maybe they got caught in the cabbage shredder/borscht maker.

It’s been raining like crazy in Washington, and they don’t allow me to shoot buckshot inside so I have not made it out to try them out yet.  I can say mine for surely have some rough edges and a sharp lip when compared to other shells.  Hoping they work out, but with the other feedback I may try a different box since they are so short it would be great if they worked out

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Ben elLes said:

Shot the 25 I had with no problems.  Guess I’ll have to get more and see how they work out

Oh I agree, they'll fit 7 to a tube so I have a lot but I was just loading up some velcro side saddles, opened another box and noticed the difference. Looks like the same amount of charge; just odd.

I picked up a load of their buck and slugs on cyber Monday with free shipping.  Just came in this week so I will try both this weekend.  They look good and are significantly shorter than Black Aces and RIO.  Not buffered, however i just want them for blasting.  

• Upvote 1

This has brought up a rather interesting (for me) search. It appears they have the same charge but in the shell on the right much of it is exposed. I wondered, "will that cause problems?" This lead to "what does the brass actually do?" And apparently, the answer is, not much other than give the extractor something to latch onto. Anyone with more knowledge than me care to weigh in?