bennelli nova shotgun

robk

i am interested in a the nova shotgun and was curious to hear what people think of them. i have shot pump most all of my life and have tried the semi auto and find it hard to shoot as i find myself trying to work the forend like it was a pump so i have decided to go back where i started from. i am just an average hunter mostly bow hunt and some rifle and will go hunting for quail or pheasant now and then and i was told to try the bennelli nova since i was going this way.

i would like to hear the pro's and cons of the shotgun or if there are any little tid bits that folks can bring to light for me. i do like the feel of the gun but not having a demo you can't really judge the slide though it was smooth unooaded you get a better feel of the gun when actually firing it and also what kind of recoil is there with the nova?

thanks for any help you can give

rob k

this is my first post on the bemmelli forum so again thanks for yoru help

Originally posted by robk:

i am interested in a the nova shotgun and was curious to hear what people think of them. i have shot pump most all of my life and have tried the semi auto and find it hard to shoot as i find myself trying to work the forend like it was a pump so i have decided to go back where i started from. i am just an average hunter mostly bow hunt and some rifle and will go hunting for quail or pheasant now and then and i was told to try the bennelli nova since i was going this way.

i would like to hear the pro's and cons of the shotgun or if there are any little tid bits that folks can bring to light for me. i do like the feel of the gun but not having a demo you can't really judge the slide though it was smooth unooaded you get a better feel of the gun when actually firing it and also what kind of recoil is there with the nova?

thanks for any help you can give

rob k

this is my first post on the bemmelli forum so again thanks for yoru help

robk,

I purchased a nova last year. Best decision. Ever.

I had previously owned an old Mossburg and a Winchester 1300. The Mossburg was old when I got it and just wore out. The 1300 was new when I purchased it and consistently jammed. I liked the looks of the Nova and had read good reports about it so I took the plunge and got one. I got the 12 gauge with advantage camo. I've used it with great success for pheasant, deer, waterfowl and turkey. I purchased a Primos turkey choke, but I think I could have gotten by with the Full that is provided. The gun is sturdy and will take a lot of abuse in the field. It is super easy to tear down and clean. I love its stylings, but will admit that it is an acquired taste. Its chambered to fit everything from 2 3/4 up to those bad boy 3 1/2ers. Its pump action is a bit on the noisy side. But I love it!

I bought a nova earlier this summer primarily for turkeys but used it on pheasants this fall and loved it. The forearm is a bit loose and noisy but I've read several things you can do to cut down on that. I bought mine without shooting it first, based a lot on recommendations in this and other forums, and haven't regretted it a bit.

The nova is one of the best competetively priced pump guns on the market right now. I looked at one as my first gun when i was 15 when they were still a 600 dollar gun but finances forced me into a remington 870. If it didnt have feed problems, it would be an ok gun. I have had m1 super 90 (as my name says) for over 2 years now and love it. Go for it, get the nova, you wont be dissapointed

• 2 months later...

i bought the gun and i am going to have to head for the shooting range and shoot up a few boxes of shells at trap and skeet and see how it goes. i do like the feel but he slide is a bit loose but i haven't found a slide that wasn't a bit loose and noisy but if your trying to take down birds or trap or skeet it doesn't matter if it does it's job lol

i know i am going to enjoy the gun already lol

rob k

smile.gif I HAD PURCHASED A NOVA AT THE END OF THE HUNTING SEASON JUST BECAUSE OF THE BENELLI NAME. HEY $300. IS NOT A LOT FOR A PUMP SHOTGUN AND THE QUALITY YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT. I THINK ITS A GREAT WEAPON AND I PUT IT SIDE BY SIDE TO MY 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM I PAID $200. IN 1992. I SOLD MY REM 870 TO A FRIEND FOR $150. AND DONT REGRET IT. MY NEXT PURCHASE IS THE SUPER BLACK EAGLE II AND I WILL GET RID OF MY BERETTA 390.

hey commando i have heard that about people buying new beenelli's and selling their other guns. i and my dad are getting ready to go shooting and get ready for turkey season and i am going to get the primos extended turkey choke. it is a good choke i have heard for turkey and shoots a good tight pattern. it won't cost you an arm and leg either

i can't decide whether i am going to shoot a 2 3/4 or a 3 inch mag in #6 shot. with my other shotguns for turkey i shoot #6 high velocity and they work excellent so i will try them first and see how the bennelli works out for me and then go from there if i need to go down on shot.

rob k

• 4 weeks later...

i purchases a Nova and loved it!! I thought it looked different from everyone elses and it set me apart from everyone elses. I'm into shooting trap not hunting, so i really dont know how it works for hunting. But it works OK for a trap gun, its a good gun to get started with but when you decide to get serious about shooting trap you have to buy a trap gun. I bought a Sport II and my average has increased from 17 or 18 with the Nova to around 22-24 w/ the Sport II

[/qb]Some "salesman".

That's a moronic statement at best.

Find a dealer who knows his product. [/QB]

I figured he was. It has just got me thinking about how much abuse will the Nova take. I take good care of my firearms. This will be my primary hunting wepon for birds and such and I just want to make sure this is something that can stand up to the abuse. I have heard of Benelli and know full well who they are, I just have never talked to anyone that owns one. My buddies are all about Beretta

The Nova pump did appear to have a very brief run of bad barrels around 2001, or 2002, I think.

I saw several photos of Nova barrels that split open, well down from the muzzle. By several, I mean 2-3.

From what I recall, Benelli took care of each one promptly.

Whatever happened, it was short lived, and probably the result of a supplier's quality control.

I know many guys with thousands of rounds through them with no problems.

For some unknown reason, some 'salesmen' think it's cool to bash a brand, even one they sell. I have never been able to figure that out, unless it is just a result of pure stupidity and/or some form of jealousy.....

mudhen - CA

I can't hadle pump actions they kcik way too much and I like to go out and buy 3 1/2 ' shells because there fun, and if im gonna be flying back six feet i want the secure forearm of a semi-auto I accidently cocked from the recoil once from a 3 1/2' mag 000 buck; scared the crap out of me

other than me it's just fine.

to me the nova is the best pump out there and won't shoot another one. i went for the bennelli over the remington 870 express which is a good gun in it;s right but the bennelli is tops in my minds eye

rob k

and i shot some 3.5" and the nova held it just fine and didn't throw me like a couple of other pumps i shot. also they have a unit you can add to the nova to help you with recoil and will also help if you have a longer lop as well

Recoil does not bother me. I am a recoil junkie. I have a NEF pardner with a three in. chamber and no recoil pad. I swear the gun weighs 2 lbs. I will shoot 3in 00 buck mags till my fingers tingle. Recoil just makes a man outta ya. I care about durability and performance. I am sure now, I will get that from the Nova. That is settled I will get one this week.

If your refering to my rather obsene post, sorry about that it wasn't a particularly good day for me.

The recoil isn't that much of an issue it's just my fear of accidently cocking it in mid shot again.

the autos or break actions just feel more secure in my hand with that solid forearm.

I have a nova h20 and like it. I just bought it because it was so cheap. It was used(10 shells) and the guy selling it was desperate. One of the perks of working at a gun shop you get dibbs on anything used that comes in. Some guys I know argue that you can't compare the nova to the 870 because the nova is a relatively new model where as the 870 has been around forever. I see both sides of the story. You can practically hammer nails with an 870 and it will still work for ya. My solution is own one of each. Why not get a Moss M590A1 as well? I got a mortgage to pay people!