PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger 2000 question

Fairlane64
08-27-2003, 11:26 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a Stoeger 2000 semi-auto, but have a question regarding shooting target loads.

I have read a few comments on various forums where people have had trouble with the Stoeger 2000 cycling 7/8 ounce loads reliably. Since I do a lot of sporting clays and trap shooting, it's really nice to be able to buy the cheap Remington and Federal 7/8 ounce loads at my local Wal-Mart because of how many rounds I normally fire.

Is there a lighter spring that can be purchased from Stoeger that will allow reliable cycling of 7/8 ounce loads, or would I just be stuck only using 1 ounce or greater loads?
Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

fattire75
08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
my wally world sells the 1 1/8 with a velosity of 1200 for 100 rounds for 15 dollars. I would think those would cycle fine.

Originally posted by Fairlane64:
I am thinking about purchasing a Stoeger 2000 semi-auto, but have a question regarding shooting target loads.

I have read a few comments on various forums where people have had trouble with the Stoeger 2000 cycling 7/8 ounce loads reliably. Since I do a lot of sporting clays and trap shooting, it's really nice to be able to buy the cheap Remington and Federal 7/8 ounce loads at my local Wal-Mart because of how many rounds I normally fire.

Is there a lighter spring that can be purchased from Stoeger that will allow reliable cycling of 7/8 ounce loads, or would I just be stuck only using 1 ounce or greater loads?

Regards

[ August 28, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: fattire75 ]

kenk
09-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Regards I purchased a Stoeger 2000 several weeks ago. My son and I have shot 5 boxes of 7/8 ounce loads through the gun without a problem. My only complaint is the plastic trigger guard and the white dot sight. Truglo has an fix for the sight.

[ September 05, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: kenk ]

stoegerman
10-02-2003, 12:29 PM

Regards I've shot lots of boxs of field load shells through my model 2000 and never had a problem. They do warn you that you shouldn't shoot the 7/8 (dove load) but I have and never had a jam. I usually shoot the 1 1/8 load which you can get at wal mart for the same price as the 7/8 dove load. It's like $14.88 per 100.

evbutler
10-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I have never had a problem using 7/8 oz loads in my 2000. I do not recommend changing the recoil spring. It is fine for whatever you will be using. Some shooters want to use a heavier spring as they don't intend to use light loads. This prohibiting them from using 7/8 oz because the recoil is not sufficient to cycle the action.

JEFFRO67
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
7/8 cycle just fine in my 2000 never had a problem

Dennis.33
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I reload 7/8 loads with AA hulls and Titewad powder at 1450fps. I use IC at skeet and hunting. I call this my killer bee loads. Very even pattern, less money on shot, kills game, dusts clays, and works in my 2000. I use a light spray on oil in the action rails as the recoil impluse is just on the edge. It will start jamming after a round of skeet, but a shot of lube takes care of it.

Neanderthal
11-18-2007, 04:46 AM
A different spring is not needed. Extensive break-in might. Some of these take quite a while to break in. I believe cycling the bolt back and forth in the house a lot of times when new also helps a lot. Mine has never failed to function perfectly. The manual warns of extremely light loads, though. I use mine for hunting, so have always used 1.25 oz. loads or heavier so far. Mine has just been reliable as a rock, and is my favorite now. My 870 and o/u stay in the cabinet on most trips.