PDA

View Full Version : Condor recoil pad

condortrap1228
04-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Last weekend it was 86 degrees outside and I had to go trap shooting. Well usually when i shoot im wearing a sweatshirt or something. Well i wore a t shirt and by the time i shot 100 shots i was sore as ****. i was holding the gun tight to my shoulder but everytime i would shoot it would keep getting more painful. the next day i had a HUGE bruise. Im just wondering if anyone knows of a type of pad or recoil reducer i could use. Also i think ill need a comb pad cuz when i do shoot i also get a bruise on my cheek. Im just wondering if anyone could help me out. thanks

fezman
04-20-2004, 12:36 AM
shoot lighter loads i shoot #8 1oz target loads for skeet and clays and i can get off about 150-200 shots before i get sore but the next day im still sore any thing over 100 and its going to hurt unless you shoot real light reloads

timb99
04-22-2004, 02:36 PM
condortrap1228,

Unfortunately, you're using a light weight field gun for trap shooting. This causes two problems.

Lightweight is great for a field gun, because of course, you don't want to be lugging a heavy gun around all day long. In the field, hunting, normally you don't take a "bunch" of shots. Certainly fewer than a boxful under most circumstances.

Lightweight is bad for trap, because Fig's smarter brother Isaac proved to us all that for any action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I won't go into the mathematics, but the recoil you feel every time you shoot is affected by the weight of the gun. If you think of the extreme case, a REALLY HEAVY gun, shooting your trap shells, would recoil into you shoulder a lot less than a REALLY LIGHT gun.

The second thing about a field gun is that it has a "drop comb." The comb of your gun stock slopes down towards the butt end. Trap gun stocks are usually flat (parallel with the gun barrel.) A sloped stock is easier to bring up to your face quickly, such as for hunting, but is not so good for trap since every time the gun recoils, that sloped comb nudges your face as it's moving backards towards your shoulder.

Make sense so far?

Anyway, you have a couple of options. I'll assume you've decided this is the gun you're going to use for trap shooting, (so I won't suggest you get a trap gun.)

Have someone who really knows what they're doing (i.e. someone who gets paid to do it) look at your form and your gun fit. Sometimes just changing your stance, or how you hold the gun can make a world of difference.

Get a softer butt pad. Some brand names are "Gooey" "Kick-Eez" "Hi-Viz" and "Sims" Usually best to have a gunsmith install them, but it's not horribly difficult.

Add some "Moleskin" to the top of the comb. I think you can get this at the drugstore. I've never bought it myself but I think it's in the foot products. Might cushion your cheek a little.

Like fezman said, use a 1 ounce, 2-3/4 dram target load. Much lighter on the shoulder than the 1-1/8 ounce 3 dram kickers most people use. Remington Gun Club is a brand that I use. Reasonably priced and they work well. Not as easy to find, byt you can get them mail order from Gamaliel or Cheaperthandirt. If you do your part (point the gun correctly) the 1 ounce loads break targets just a s good as the 1-1/8 ounce loads. I use 1 ounce loads exclusively.

Incidentally, I shoot a Remington 1100 for trap which is at least a pound heavier than my Condor. I have it set up with a Monte-Carlo trap stock. I shot (at) over 400 targets this weekend (broke 341 of them) and my shoulder never, I repeat, never hurt.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Where in Nebraska are you? I grew up in Omaha, and graduated from Lincoln (1983.)

condortrap1228
04-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks, but i was using 8 shot, 2 3/4 dram winchester light trap loads. But i bought a slip over recoil pad and it works great. Im gonna start reloaded my own now and i think ill use 2 3/4 dram for singles but for handicap i need to get it out there faster so ill prolly use 3 or 3 1/4 dram. I am in Omaha to Tim99. But im only 15 yrs old so not in college yet.