PDA

View Full Version : 20 ga single shot ejector failure

nate
08-28-2004, 10:40 PM
My Stoeger 20 gauge single shot is brand-new, but it does not eject spent shells. I fire 2 3/4 inch Winchester number 7 1/2 shot at clay pigeons, nothing fancy. The ejector slides spent shells back far enough that I can pluck them out of the chamber with my fingers. But shouldn't it kick them out and toss them over my shoulder when I break open the gun? Anybody else have this problem and what do you recommend?

fezman
08-29-2004, 01:20 AM
i do beleve that you may have extractors not ejectors there's a difference. not all guns have ejectors my condor doesn't

fezman
08-29-2004, 01:26 AM
it dosnet say on the stoger site and i cant tell from the one photo of the open breach. im thinking to keep the cost down they would have went with extractors.

rausch
08-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by nate:
My Stoeger 20 gauge single shot is brand-new, but it does not eject spent shells. I fire 2 3/4 inch Winchester number 7 1/2 shot at clay pigeons, nothing fancy. The ejector slides spent shells back far enough that I can pluck them out of the chamber with my fingers. But shouldn't it kick them out and toss them over my shoulder when I break open the gun? Anybody else have this problem and what do you recommend?

rausch
08-29-2004, 09:52 AM
I would normally recommend that you return the firearm to Stoeger for repairs but having experience in this area I would suggest a local, experienced gunsmith. Stoeger has a poor warranty program.

nate
08-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Newbie question: is the difference between an ejector and an extractor that the ejector kicks the spent shell out and the extractor merely slides it back a little so I can pluck it out with my fingers? If so, then my gun's doing what it's supposed to do, just not what I expected it to do. Are there many shotgun models that don't kick out spent shells or is mine a real cheap-o? It was a gift from my son-in-law so I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Slamfire
08-29-2004, 05:49 PM
is the difference between an ejector and an extractor that the ejector kicks the spent shell out and the extractor merely slides it back a little so I can pluck it out with my fingers? Answer: yes.

Ejectors usually have a spring mechanism that kicks spent shell out with enough force to fly out of the chambers.

Extractors usually have a lever system linked to the breaking or opening motion of the barrels. Even though they do not kick out the spent shells, in my opinion, the offer a better assurance against stuck shells in the chambers because the extraction force is direct related to the force with which you open the barrels, i.e. the force is in your arms.

On ejectors, if the empty shell is stuck with more force than that of the ejector spring, then you have a stuck case problem. This problem is really frustrating when you see birds flying by, almost laughing at your impotence to load a new shell. Remember that springs can gradually lose their strenght, or break. My personal taste is that extractors are more reliable.

The ejectors vs extractors choice is not necesarily limited to costs. Many people prefer extractors because it is easier to pluck empty shells from the barrel and store them, either for reloading or to simply avoid polluting your hunting grounds with empty shells, than picking them up from the ground or trying to catch them in the air before they hit the ground.

Again, many people prefer ejectors over extractors and they have very valid reasons for their preference. It is a matter of the taste of the shooter.

Are there many shotgun models that don't kick out spent shells or is mine a real cheap-o? Yes, there are many models of shotguns using extractors and that does not mean that extractor shotguns are cheapo.

[ 08-29-2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: gepineda ]