PDA

View Full Version : condor

markaj66
09-18-2004, 09:31 PM
i recently purchased a condor o/u the gun fires the 1st cylinder and it seems i have to cycle the safety for the second cylinder to fire,is this normal,must there be live ammo in the gun for it to operate correctly???

[ 09-18-2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: markaj66 ]

karday
09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Check out the post under condor supreme. I have the exact problem. I am beginning to believe this is essentially a design flaw since the factory had mine back and claimed to fix it but didn't. I live not 5 minutes from the factory yet they refuse to answer any mail on this issue and the repair center is several hours away. I am going to try the fix a kind poster logged onthe forum. I guess you get what you pay for as this is a relatively cheap O/U. I thought sure the Beretta name would ensure better customer service than I have experience, which is no customer service.

trapshoot7
09-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by markaj66:
i recently purchased a condor o/u the gun fires the 1st cylinder and it seems i have to cycle the safety for the second cylinder to fire,is this normal,must there be live ammo in the gun for it to operate correctly??? there has to be two live shells in the gun for both of the barrels to fire

fezman
09-21-2004, 10:37 PM
its not a design flaw its an over site by quality control. to fix the problem:
1 take the butt plate off
2 take a long streight screw driver and take out the screw that holds the stock on the recever.
3 tighten the screw that holds the clamp that retains the spring on the bottom of the safety switch. ( i would take the screw out and put some red locktite on it or when its tight take a small punch and strike the screw and the clamp at were they mate) that will keep the screw tight.
what is happening is when you fire the first bbl insted of the second trigger setting the safety is setting because the clamp that holds the spring is loose . that should fix the problem. it will not effect the opperaton of the saftey. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE SAFETY ITS PART OF THE OPPERATON OF THE GUN if you try to disconect the safety entirely you will fire both bbl at once and that is un safe and DUMB also expect to have to run at least 250 rounds threw the weapon before it functions correctly (this bothers me but it seems that stoger isnt worried about it)

KOertli
10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I'm new to this forum but found it because of the problem you are discussing here.

I just purchased a Condor Special 12ga and noticed that I had to Cycle the Safety between ( Dry fires).

Will it act the same when firing live ammo? Or, did I just get dumped on?

I took it apart to try and see if what Fezman saya is accurate but found that the srew was tight and the Spring was not loose.

Has there been any further detais from the factory on this issue?

K.O.

fezman
10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
ooops i forgot to add to that post. after you fire the first bbl dry bump the butt of the gun on the floor or with your hand. that will set the second trigger.. so yes the gun will work differntly with live ammo... sorry :rolleyes: :D

KOertli
10-08-2004, 11:35 PM
No harm done Fezman, I took my Condor Special Dove hunting today and it performed very well.

The 'Inertia Drive' trigger mechanizm work flawlessly.

I am happy with my decision to buy this gun.

helluvaengr
03-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I just purchased a Stoeger Condor 12 ga O/U at Dicks sporting goods. Great price and I really love the overall feel of the gun, but it looks like I am one of the **lucky** ones that has the problem with the safety setting after the first barrel is fired. I removed the stock to try the fix recommended by fezman, but the only screw that I saw under the safety switch was holding a flat leaf type spring and it was already tight (would have been very difficult to get to if it was loose).

I called customer service and they said it sounded like a "weak spring" and I could either send the gun back or have the merchant from whom I bought it send it back. Dicks will send it back no problem, but the estimated turnaround time from Stoeger is *** 8 weeks ***. This I am really steamed about. I've got a brand new shotgun and now I'm suppose to give it up for two months ? That pretty much spoils the overall experience.

Prervious posters have indicated that it takes 200-300 rounds to break the gun in. Has anyone had this problem go away after a good break in period. What kinds of "problems" go away with beak in ?

Since I'm shooting mostly trap right now, the safety problem is not a serious issue. It is mildly aggrevating when shooting doubles in skeet. I'm planning on shooting for several months to see if it goes away. Will send it back mid summer if the problem still persists. Hopefully the wait time will be shorter then. Just curious how many others have had this problem.

Mr. Mike
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Like Fez said earlier are you dry firing the Condor and it isnt allowing your second shot or are you firing live ammo through it and it resets between shots? Depending on the age of the gun(serial #) the inertia condors must be BURPED when they are dry fired to set the second trigger but live ammo does this automatically. I have noticed (at Dicks sporting goods) that the 2005 guns have a different style or "click" to the safety. Unlike my 2003 model

helluvaengr
03-24-2005, 11:20 PM
I've fired about 125 rounds. Customer service at stoeger said that sometimes this "goes away" with break in. Will try it for a few months and see.

wallhanger54
03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Just as a little advice to those sending their guns in through Dick's. One of the reasons it takes so long for them is that the store you send it through doesnt send them everyday. When they do, they have to send it to their PA store where it may sit a few days. Then they send it to Stoeger where a 4 or 5 week turnaround. This place handles all models of all 4 manufacturers for all of N. America so that kind of turnaround aint bad. Then it goes back to PA, then back to the store you sent it through, waiting a couple of times along the way. So an 8 week turnaround aint too bad. Yes you can send them in yourself as I did mine and got it back in half the time.

helluvaengr
03-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by wallhanger54:
Just as a little advice to those sending their guns in through Dick's. One of the reasons it takes so long for them is that the store you send it through doesnt send them everyday. When they do, they have to send it to their PA store where it may sit a few days. Then they send it to Stoeger where a 4 or 5 week turnaround. This place handles all models of all 4 manufacturers for all of N. America so that kind of turnaround aint bad. Then it goes back to PA, then back to the store you sent it through, waiting a couple of times along the way. So an 8 week turnaround aint too bad. Yes you can send them in yourself as I did mine and got it back in half the time.

helluvaengr
04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the advice wallhanger. I had pretty much decided on sending it back myself. Ticks me off that I've got to eat the shipping expense to save a couple of weeks. Customer service at Stoeger said that the reason their turnaround time is so long is because Dick's sent back a whole pallet at once and overloaded their gunsmiths.

Clicking the safety has pretty much become automatic. I'm mainly shooting trap, so it is not an issue. When shooting skeet, I bust the doubles about 70% of the time which is probably what I would get if the second barrel cycled automatcally. I'm going to give it a few months to see if it clears up (doubtful) and then send it back independent of Dick's.

jsf
04-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Had the same problem with my 2004 condor also purchase at dicks. Just recieved a replacement gun over the issue since it went to stoeger twice without being fixed. Turned a 300 shotgun into a 400 shotgun if you include the shipping to the factory. The problem took about 500 rounds to develop so dry fireing at the store may not be the full answer. I am leary to fire the new gun and am thinking of selling NIB.

I just read in one of the posts that the design problem may be fixed in the 2005 model. Anyone (maybe stoeger) confirm that the flaw is fixed?

Anyone (again maybe stoeger) have any data about the % of condors with the problem?

Have to say the replacement (maybe 2005) has nice wood and feels good. It does not have the stamped engraving on the receiver that the 2004 had but i kinda like it plain.

Here hoping I end up liking this gun.

helluvaengr
04-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I've now shot approx 500 rounds through my condor and last week when I attempted to dry fire and demonstrate the problem of the top barrel not cycling properly and it did indeed cycle properly (only time that day).

Today I tried dry firing and bumping on the floor with no positive results. I then tried holding the safety after firing the bottom barrel, then bumping the butt on the floor and it cycled properly. I did this 4-5 times with the same positive results. Then tried it without holding the safety and it now seems to work perfectly.

Can't wait until this weekend to try it with live ammo.

helluvaengr
04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
OK, so I tried it this weekend with live ammo. Still have the same problem. When dry firing, the top barrel cycles properly if I give the butt a light or moderate bump. If I give it a "hard" bump aginst a solid wall or the floor, the safety cycles. Live ammo gives it enough of a shock to cycle the safety about 90% of the time. Apparently the safety spring is not strong enough to prevent the safety setting under normal firing conditions.

Now that I realize what is happening, I simply hold my thumb on the safety to prevent it setting. Somewhat distracting, but it works.

The gun is definately going back for repair.

jimbop
04-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem. The few times (about 15) that I have had to shoot doubles I have had no problem. I usually shoot trap. Hope you get it back soon!

mastadonn
04-24-2005, 11:40 PM
I had a similar problem with a Condor youth 20 ga. I sent it back to Stoeger for repair. They replaced the firing pin springs, which as far as I could tell had nothing to do with the failure to fire.

After I got it back from their customer service, it still had exactly the same problem as when it went in.

I finally tore it down and lightly stoned all the bearing surfaces in the interrupter yoke that goes around the safety stem. That cleared up the problem. We have fired approximately 500 rounds since I fixed it, with no failures to fire.

The problem is apparently poor finishing on the parts which leaves burrs that hang up the cycling of the interrupter. The safety is only involved in that the yoke goes around its' stem.

I will probably be purchasing 3-4 more of the youth models for our local junior shotgun program, now that I am confident that it can be easily smoothed up.

Enzo
05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mastadonn:
I had a similar problem with a Condor youth 20 ga. I sent it back to Stoeger for repair. They replaced the firing pin springs, which as far as I could tell had nothing to do with the failure to fire.

After I got it back from their customer service, it still had exactly the same problem as when it went in.

I finally tore it down and lightly stoned all the bearing surfaces in the interrupter yoke that goes around the safety stem. That cleared up the problem. We have fired approximately 500 rounds since I fixed it, with no failures to fire.

The problem is apparently poor finishing on the parts which leaves burrs that hang up the cycling of the interrupter. The safety is only involved in that the yoke goes around its' stem.

I will probably be purchasing 3-4 more of the youth models for our local junior shotgun program, now that I am confident that it can be easily smoothed up.

Enzo
05-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Purchased a 20 ga o/u from Dick's sporting goods back in March 2005. Great value, but the gun developed a problem with the safety pin reset mechanism after firing 250 rounds approx. over 2 months.

In reading the messages on the BB, it appears to be a recurring problem. I am not used to tearing the gun apart as masterdonn indicates, so I intend to send it back to Stoeger for repair. I would like to know however what "stonned all the bearing surfaces" means so that I can include a note to Stoeger.

Thanks!!!

condorcom
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
If I dry fire my condor, to get it to fire the next barrell, I just cycle the safety on and off and it will click to the next barrel. With live ammo I have no problem. I think I can change which barrell mine fires first by doing the same thing with the barrell closed and cocked and then cycling the safety off and back on. Seemed to work last week when I shot it 20 - 25 times. I could make it shoot top barrell and next reload make it shoot bottom barrel first.
Hope this might help yall, sounds like you have gun problem though.

AnthonyRSS
06-12-2005, 02:21 PM
My brand spankin new Condor has the same **** problem. The safety is kicked on by recoil from the first shot.
Other than that I like the gun. The fit and finish of the '05s seem better than the previous; I also own a 03 or so Condor supreme, but it has never given me this problem...
If anyone knows how to fix it, I could use some help. If I figure anything out I'll let yall know.

wallhanger54
06-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Safety spring is bad. Not enough tension. I guess they just had a bad batch of em. Not hard to change but would probably let Stoeger service do it.

AnthonyRSS
06-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I fixed it. The safety was not fully disengaging. The rod that enagages the safety when the lever is moved was slightly too long to allow the safety to move forward. I relieved it some. smile.gif

Red Dirt
06-26-2005, 03:20 PM
I contacted my dealer about the problems and according to them "they have sold many stoeger's without a problem.

I then sent a e-mail to Stoeger and here is the reply......"Both of those are false issues the gun is recoil operated, It takes the first shot to set the second trigger. There is no cycling of the safety. Also most of the models don't come with ejectors they come with extractors. However the competition has ejectors and we have had no problem with them." Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 9:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: StoegerIndustries.com Comment

Steve Bradbury
[email protected]

I recently orderes a condo competition 20 gauge. I have seen many comments in the Benelli forman talking about two problems #1 after you shoot the first barrel you have to cycle the safty to fire the second barrel. #2 after shooting alot of rounds the injector does work. They felt heat was a problem. Have you
resolved these problems in the new models that are coming out? Steve

Off Center
06-27-2005, 08:27 AM
This may have already been covered, my apologies if it was... However you will not run into the problem of the safety engaging between shots with the Competition model because they have manual safeties. The models that are experiencing that problem are the field models with Automatic safeties and I was told that it is only on the older models. I've also been told that they have since resolved this problem by adding a higher grade/stiffer safety spring to the models previously experiencing this issue.

DN
07-11-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm new to Stoeger, I just bought a Condor and haven't used it yet. This may be a long shot but perhaps worth consideration. I have 2 Berettas and I thought I had a similar symptom of the 2nd barrel not firing on the 680/682 series I have with an inertia trigger. It has a manual safety so it couldn't be that. I checked around with various gunsmiths and they thought it was the inertial trigger spring. After careful self-evaluation, I found out I wasn't releasing the trigger all the way between shots (I didn't have to so this with the other Beretta 686 I gave to my wife that has a spring loaded second trigger). Never had a problem since I learned the habit of releasing the trigger completely between shots. Some of you may benefit from this, others, well good luck.

helluvaengr
09-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I sent my Condor back on July 15, to fix the problem of the safety setting after firing the first barrel. Received word from Dicks sporting goods that it was back on Sept 1 (approx two weeks ahead of what I was expecting).

Shot three rounds of skeet this afternoon, and everything worked perfectly (except I now automatically push the safety lever after the first shot. This is going to take a few more rounds to correct).

While I was disappointed to have to send my gun back, I am very pleased with the results. For $300 this is a great gun. I love the way it handles and while it is not as "pretty" as some of the more expensive guns that I see at the skeet range, "pretty" never broke a single clay.

FWIW, the first day that I experienced the problem, another shooter had a similar problem with a brand new $5,000 gun. He also was faced with sending his brand new gun back.

While the turn around time could be better, for the money, this is a great gun.

rodhbham
09-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Purchased new Condor Supreme 9-8-2005 and shot 25 rounds of skeet before going to Dove Field.
After 25 more rounds Safety 1/2 way engaged after 1st shot. Changed Barrell firing order several times with no better results. Can I get my Money Back!!

karday
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Well I have the same problem with my Condor Supreme. I sent it back after shooting skeet and it consistently misfired. Sent it back and they suppossedly fixed it. Took 8 weeks went out to shoot and same issue. Been out of the country off and on on business but when Home I tried the butt removal fix suggested here and didn not find the loose condition. I did notice that the misfiring barrell doesn't generate enough force on the primer and leaves only a small dent inthe misfired shell. Seems either a spring issue or a firing pin problem. Soon as the world settle down and I get home long enough to focus on my fuin things I haveanother RMA # to return it but I am not too hopefull they will fix it if a design issue. Besides you have to fire at least a box of shells in it to make sure you get the intermittant misfire. When I first got it the barrells didn't cycle after the first shot. They was allegedly a grease/fore in fit problem. Now that seem to work fine.

duckseliminated
09-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Has anyone confirmed a fix for the stoeger condor with the not fireing problem. Mine that i just bought Sept 1 has the lem everyone is talking same prob everyone is talking about. The only thing diffrent is mine does it only if you shoot the botto barrel first

whtsmoke
10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
is the condor worth buying? after reading all of these problems it doesnt seem to be a good buy, am i wrong?

tucker301
10-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I've only had my hands on one, but that convinced me that I'd never own one.

If you MUST buy a cheap O/U, the Stoeger, Baikal, and CZ are probably about equal. I'd lay hands on all three before buying. I've been hearing good things about the CZ's lately.

Best advice: Save your money until you can afford a Franchi Alcione.
There are some good deals on used ones (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37977067) to be had.

tucker301
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Almost forgot.
Franchi Diamond, exclusively at Dick's Sporting Goods, can be found on sale for $799 from time to time... or so they say in the Franchi forums.

According to a moderator, it's built similarly to the Veloce.
I have a Veloce in 20 ga., and I love it!

timb99
10-04-2005, 03:09 PM
whtsmoke,

Depends on what you want. The old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

I have a Condor that I've owned for several years. I have shot thousands of shells through it, and it works fine. I've had a couple of times where it failed to fire, but being someone who isn't afraid to take stuff apart, I determined what was wrong (one of those two times, it only needed a thorough cleaning) and fixed it myself.

Is it a Franchi (or a Beretta, or a Browning, or a Winchester?) Of course not.

Keep in mind, the posts here telling of problems are "probably" the exception to the rule. People post here when they're dissatisfied. Most who are happy with their product don't complain on this site.

If you buy a Condor expecting to get a Browning Citori, you will be disappointed. If you buy a Condor expecting to get an entry-level over/under with less than impressive wood and metal finishing, that goes bang when you pull the trigger, chances are you'll be happy with it.

whtsmoke
10-08-2005, 04:21 PM
thanks timb99 what i want is a o/u that i can take to the field for dove etc. i realizr its not a beuaty but just want something other than my auto or pump guns. i like the combo for the duel gauges.