R1 Barrel Length

martian

My ideal barrel length for an R1 .308 caliber would be 18 to 20 inches. Does anyone have any thoughts about cutting the standard 22 inch barrel down to my desired length (by a competent smith)? Are there any rumors about Benelli comming out with shorter barrels in the future?

Thanks!

I don't think you'd achieve complete powder burn at 18, but 20 should be sufficient for the 308.

Having a skilled smith shorten the barrel should not be a problem.

I had a 26" varminter cut to 24" a few months ago and the results have been very positive.

I'd go ahead and get it recrowned rather than leaving it flat, unless you're strictly target shooting.

The Benelli factory crown is nicely done and I'd try to have that replicated on a shortened barrel.

I've heard no rumors about the R1 being offered in a 20" .308, but it makes sense that they would do it eventually.