Leupold Quick Detachable Ring Problem

Alien Attack

Does anyone else use these rings?

http://www.leupold.com/products/mounts.htm

( The quick detachable rings )

It seems as though the cross slots on the base that comes with the R1 are slightly bigger then the cross slot bars on the rings. This leaves for a little play in the scope mounts. Even when the rings are tightened down as much as possible (via hand, no pliers are used) that the recoil of the 30-06 has already damaged one pair beyond use. I purchased a second pair and the same thing seems to be happening. I've pushed the rings as far forward as possible and then tightened down the ring so there is no play upon recoil.

Unfortunately my digital camera went loony a few days ago or I'd show pics of the problem. Anyone else experiencing this?

I use the QRW rings on my SBEII for easy removal of my "turkey" optics and have had no problems at all. If I recall correctly I think the "W" designation had some importance in making the setup work properly ... originally they gave me QR's and they weren't right. Unfortunately I forget the specifics. I assume the QRW stands for "Quick Release Weaver" ... a quick release for a Weaver style base. (which is similar to the Picatinny rail on the R1)

• 2 weeks later...

AA,

You may have solved this issue by now, but I have the same setup and have no problems at all with a 300 WM R1 and over 500 rounds fired. I slide the bases all the way forward and hand tighten. Recoil pushes the scope forward and it is against the slots so it stays put.

Let me know what you did.

-Glenn

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Alien Attack:

Does anyone else use these rings?

http://www.leupold.com/products/mounts.htm

( The quick detachable rings )

It seems as though the cross slots on the base that comes with the R1 are slightly bigger then the cross slot bars on the rings. This leaves for a little play in the scope mounts. Even when the rings are tightened down as much as possible (via hand, no pliers are used) that the recoil of the 30-06 has already damaged one pair beyond use. I purchased a second pair and the same thing seems to be happening. I've pushed the rings as far forward as possible and then tightened down the ring so there is no play upon recoil.

Unfortunately my digital camera went loony a few days ago or I'd show pics of the problem. Anyone else experiencing this?