New to the R1

Deacons

I just recently purchased the R1 w/ wood stock and am curious to proper ammo selection, break-in and any other tips you may have. Previously I had a Winchester model 70 in .300 WM, the R1 is also .300WM, and have always shot 180 grain Federal w/ nosler partition. What would be a good starting point for finding the proper ammo for my new gun? I've already put 1/2 box though it, I couldn't wait. Any help will be appreciateed.

Here is a good break in procedure I found. Go to this site. http://www.jarheadtop.com/article_gfbreakin.html

break in increases accuracy potential and shots you can take before cleaning. it isnt necessary though its recommended. also the nosler partition is a great hunting bullet. if you shot a good group with the 1/2 box you shot i would definately stick with those.

I will also be very interested in what your results are. I just bought the R1 Comfortech, 300 WM. Scoped with a 3.5-10/44mm Zeiss Conquest scope. In fact, still waiting another week and a half before I can pick it up. I am very interested in any recommendation in regards to the best ammo to use. I will be using the gun to hunt whitetail so I definitely focused on accuracy results for hunting ammo.

Thanks

Originally posted by Bozhed:

In fact, still waiting another week and a half before I can pick it up.

Note to self: NEVER move to CA!!!! :eek:

Here's how it works in VA.

Go to gun shop and pick out gun.

Fill out forms, wait for quick records check (10 minutes or so), pay for gun, take gun home.

thanks everyone for the help and great post from iowahunter. I was just wondering what affect the weather has on this process as I am located in northern Minnesota. while it has been unseasonably warm, the highs are still only in the upper 20's.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by tbailey:

Bozhed,

Have you had the opportunity to check your R1 in the accuracy dept?

Actually not yet. Just purchased about 100 rounds of various types of ammo. Includes Remington, Hornady, Federal and Winchester. Hoping to go out in two weeks. been raining here for the last few weekends.

Will post my results of my visit to the range. One thing I would like to point out though - I purchased the gun purely on the recommendation of a family friend who is the manager of the gun shop. I am actually a bolt action fan and was looking at the Sako however, he assured me this is a better gun. Last week started to get buyers remorse...concerned about the semi-auto action. He assured me that I will be pleased and if I am not, I can return it and get the Sako. Given that strong recommendation I am really looking forward to trying it out.

Went out yesterday to the range. Unfortunately I was a little unprepared and didn't have a good base to shoot from so accuracy wasn't the greatest. However, I was able to determine that the gun is reliable. Fired 50 rounds through it with no jamming problems. Used Hornady, Remington and Federal Fusion. The Federal seemed to be the most accurate. Will be going back out this coming weekend to re-evaluate the accuracy.

The one annoyance that I did experience was the front stock coming loose. Easily remidied by retightening it.

[ 02-05-2006, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Bozhed ]

Bozhed

Try shooting the 150 gr. bullets. My gun loves the Remington 150 gr. pointed soft points. To address the forearm stock loosening I put a rubber 57 cent rubber "O" ring on the receiving end of the of the forearm threads and it works great. Check out Tucker301's thread on the subject. They are great rifles but you will need to make a minor alteration to make it a "great" gun.

Well finally made it to the range again. Shot Winchester 180 grain Fail Safe 300 Win Mag. Distance 100 yards. Groups sub 1 inch. And for those of you who might say this is rare.....one of the girls I was with shot the same grouping!

[ 02-12-2006, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bozhed ]