R1 in .308

MikeF

I had an early R1 in 30-06 with the 20 inch barrel, the gun functioned perfectly but was inconsistent in its Point of Impact. When disassembled for cleaning and reassembled it would shoot 9-10 inches off. The tightness of the external foreend screw that held the wood fore end on also effected POI. I could walk the bullets up the target by tightning the fore end. I sold it but liked the guns handling over a BAR. Have there been any internal changes in the last two years that would warrent me trying another one in .308?

I am puzzled, I thought that the scope as it was attached to the barrel should maintain some reasonable zero on dissasembly and reassembly. The gun I had was a puzzle, it went back to Benelli once and they provided a new index point for the internal nut. This did not help. I am willing to try one again as I love the engineering design, I would just hope that they would have found the bugs and fixed them. I don't dissasemble my bolt guns as they can be cleaned from the breach. I normally do not clean them period other than to wipe with oil both external and internal after the season. I admit that the Benelli I took apart and cleaned each time I shot it. I probably should not have, but it was in my opinion inconsistent.

Yes, the scope is mounted to the barrel.

However, unlike your bolt rifles, the R1 has mechanical contact between the barrel and the lower assembly beyond the point of the receiver.

This mechanical contact exerts forces on the barrel as it is secured to the rifle.

These forces can vary slightly each time the barrel is removed and re-installed.

The index point system seemed like a good idea, but was soon seen as flawed, as it allowed for variances in torque each time the barrel was reseated into the receiver and tightened.

The new design offers a more positive stop. There are no index reference points. When it's tight, it's tight...period.

The new system improves the repeatability of the barrel to receiver connection and reduces the variances, but it would still be a good idea to check the zero for movement after re-assembly.

Routine cleaning of the R1, in my opinion should be done from the muzzle end.

Full disassembly and cleaning should be done every 20-40 rounds, depending upon how badly your's becomes fouled.

After such cleaning, a re-check of zero is a good practice to follow.

If you're in the market for a 30-06 R1, with the new locking nut, and capable of groups like the one shown below, send me a PM, as I'm considering selling mine.

R1_group.jpg

Originally posted by MikeF:

I had an early R1 in 30-06 with the 20 inch barrel, the gun functioned perfectly but was inconsistent in its Point of Impact. When disassembled for cleaning and reassembled it would shoot 9-10 inches off. The tightness of the external foreend screw that held the wood fore end on also effected POI. I could walk the bullets up the target by tightning the fore end. I sold it but liked the guns handling over a BAR. Have there been any internal changes in the last two years that would warrent me trying another one in .308?

Mike, I have one in 308 and had the same problem as you and my gun has the new barrel but. I'll sell you mine cheap! One time it shoots great then clean it and it's off the paper. Then it won't cycle! So let me know. I just need to send it back I guess.

Bossman

The R1 is hands down the best thought out semiautomatic hunting rifle currently in production. It is also the best handling semiautomatic deer rifle in the world in my opinion. There are a lot of reasons on paper to like this gun. Benelli needs to get their act together on this gun, if they would spend a little more effort, they would have a true winner. I want another one, but not before I hear better reports. I will check back from time to time. cheers. MikeF

Chronos

My R-1 shoots groups as good or better than the picture posted above by tucker301. I've never had a cycling problem since day one. I can tell you that you better lock the barrel cap down tight for any kind of consistant P.O.I. groups. I am wondering how many of the R-1 owners that are experiencing problems with their guns went through the "Recommended" break-in procedure...at the gun range? Not a very good place to take your gun apart 5 or 10 times in one session.

I was at the gun shop today and saw and actually held the "new" Browning BAR. I wasn't impressed by the way it felt in my hands at all. The pistol grip felt very thick and the forearm grip was very wide and bulky (not a smooth handy feeling gun) compared to the sleek design of the Benelli R-1. My friend at the gun shop said that (Browning)

had to make changes to the BAR due Benelli's R-1 taking market share. He also said he would choose the R-1 over the Bar from a quality stand point.

Good Luck Tucker301

P.S. Does the "new" BAR shot High energy ammo?