R1 Trigger

Jim630

I was at Cabelas today and based upon what some people on this forum had said, I dry fired the R1. I did this in comparison to a Tikka T3 and a Sako 75, and actually a variety of other bolt actions. I also dry fired the Browning BAR. I was amazed. The R1 was a Comfortech 30.06. It was horrible. I could quickly get used to the slight movement before the trigger seemed to engage, but as I started squeezing, it was a gritty slid before the gun fired. It was literally like the metal surfaces rubbing weren't finished.

I will say that I thought the gun came up wonderfully. It felt absolutely great to hold. But the trigger.... Ouch.

Maybe there was a problem with this gun. They only had one on the shelf so I couldn't compare. Does anyone know if this is either normal, or whether it can be adjusted by a gunsmith?

thanks

I never got used to it and I don't think it was that particular gun. Although I improved the trigger pull some myself, I struggled with the creep and the position of the safety. There is little a gunsmith can do to this trigger that will help because of the design of the safety rocker. I traded mine in for a Tikka a few weeks ago and I am hoping that Benelli gets this fixed. Like you said, it comes up sweet and handles nice.

Finally saw a Comfortech 300 WSM. Very nice gun. This gun had a materially better trigger than the 30.06 I saw at Cabelas, but still not great. I had a gunsmith look at it as well. The trigger weight was 4.5 lbs. For $50 bucks he felt he could make it smoother, and get the pull under 4 lbs. He said that there were limits to what could be done for various technical reasons, but that he could make it noticably better. He thought he could reduce the pull by 1/2-3/4 pounds.

The gunsmith also commented on how much he liked the gun for an automatic.

Originally posted by Jim630:

Finally saw a Comfortech 300 WSM. Very nice gun. This gun had a materially better trigger than the 30.06 I saw at Cabelas, but still not great. I had a gunsmith look at it as well. The trigger weight was 4.5 lbs. For $50 bucks he felt he could make it smoother, and get the pull under 4 lbs. He said that there were limits to what could be done for various technical reasons, but that he could make it noticably better. He thought he could reduce the pull by 1/2-3/4 pounds.

The gunsmith also commented on how much he liked the gun for an automatic.

It would be very interesting to know the outcome. Please keep us updated.

How certain are you in the trigger pull difference between the rifles and is 30-06 at Cabela’s Comfortech too?

[ 03-25-2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: garren ]

The 300 WSM was $1199 here at a local gun shop in Madison, WI. They had 3-4 ComforTechs, but I only looked at the 300 WSM. The 30-06 was $1199 at Cabelas in Praire Du Chein Wi. Both guns were Comfortechs.

Regarding the trigger pull. The 30-06 was at Cabelas about 2 weeks ago, and I have no idea how long it was on the shelf. The 300 WSM came in to the local gun shop on or about 3/21. Both were ComforTechs. The 30-06 was a scratchy fairly heavy pull. I was really amazed at how bad it was. I am not good enough to judge what the trigger weight was on the 30-06. It was heavy and scratchy. The 300 WSM was definately smoother, and the gunsmith measured the weight when I asked him to pull the trigger assembly out to tell me if he could improve it. He pulled it out, and measued the pull, 4.5 lbs, and indicated he could make it smoother still, and reduce the weight somewhat. He thought it would end up in the 3.5-4lb area. The shop I was at is a long standing gun shop in Madison, with pretty long term gunsmiths. I know one of the guys has been working there for 15-20 years, so I am inclined to think they know their stuff.

Hope that helps answer a few questions.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Finally I got the answer from Benelli about the "improved" (4.5 lbs) trigger pull on the new R1’s.

Here it is:

Nothing has been changed in the trigger group of the R1 since it was introduced. They are a 2 stage trigger and average between 5-6 lbs. If yours is 7-8lbs, call our customer service and get a RA# to send it in and we will take a look at it.

[ 05-03-2006, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: garren ]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Tucker

Someone on Benelli’s forum page stated that Briley’s can do work on trigger group and lower it to 3 1/2 pound. But before asking him if he did it personally or just heard about it, I would like to know if the trigger groups on M2, SBE and R1 are designed same way. Based on both answers, I could decide on what to do next.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jim630:

Dave,

Did you recently buy the R1? If so, what gun is it. Glad to hear you like it.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yeah, I got my R1 about 6 months ago, a 30.06 as my new primary hunting rifle (a classic Remington M1917 has been demoted to my backup). I got one with an Eotech stock, which makes it quite easy to handle even after 80-100 rounds. My M17 is a shoulder-buster after about 40-50. I'm not an extremely experienced shooter, so I'm probably not as critical as some may be, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm taking both rifles out to Colorado this Fall for a deer hunt.

Cheers,

Dave