Routine Maintenance

R1ComforTechOwner

I just purchased the R1 with the ComforTech stock in .30-06 this weekend, along with a 4-12x40mm Leupold scope. After sighting it in, I figured I should probably remove what little residue the gun collected as quickly as possible. Is there anything special I should make note of while disassembling and cleaning the R1? What should I use? How should it be done? This is my first semi-automatic firearm, and I want to make sure that I take good care of it, because at $1,165 it certainly wasn't cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK. I guess they're all out trying to get better groups, lighter trigger pulls, etc. :rolleyes:

You'll find that the ARGO system fouls considerably and that it is a PITA to get clean.

Tools and supplies:

Powder solvent

Copper solvent

Oil (CLP, Hoppes Elite, or Benelli)

Cleaning rod with jag and bronze brush

Patches

A cotton swab tip to match the chamber's diameter

Clean rags

Bore guide (optional, but suggested)

Disassemble the rifle into these components:

r1_breakdown.jpg

Detail

r1-pistontube.jpg

You'll find the heaviest fouling on the piston and piston tube.

Soaking these in a powder solvent while cleaning the rest of the gun would be suggested.

Use a shallow plastic or aluminum tray.

Further disassemble the barrel group, removing the bolt handle and bolt.

Clean the barrel as you would any rifle barrel.

Soak a patch with powder solvent and run it through.

Run the brush through at least ten times.

Run a clean patch or two through.

Repeat the process using the copper solvent.

Repeat until dry patches come through dry and clean.

When finished cleaning the bore, run a lightly oiled patch through the barrel once.

Use the lightly oiled cotton swab tip in the chamber and throat.

Clean the bolt face using a toothbrush or small parts brush from your cleaning kit, making sure that you fully remove any brass build-up on the face and around the extractor.

Inspect the bolt and face for wear and or damage.

Now go back to your parts that have been soaking.

Vigorously scrub the piston tube and piston with the brush and solvent, removing as much of the fouling as you can.

Don't be too surprised if all of it doesn't come off, but get as much as you can.

After cleaning, apply oil to the o-rings on the piston tube and to the rest of the parts and reassemble.

You may notice fouling on the inside of the forearm as well.

Clean it or ignore it. Fine either way.

Remove the trigger group and brush or blow out any debris. Then lightly oil, wipe down and reassemble.

NEVER leave parts oiled to the point that oil is dripping or running off them. This attracts dirt and will lead to failure and premature wear of parts.

Wipe down all exterior surfaces and re-assemble the firearm.

The Hoppes Elite makes the black synthetics look like new, so don't be afraid to use it on them.

Just buff it out so it's not slippery.

Check the action, saftey, and trigger for function.

Store the gun in a safe and dry place.

Use common sense when caring for the weapon.

If you've been out in inclimate weather, then a more thorough disassembly and cleaning is warranted.

Don't slip the gun into a case or sleeve while it's cold or wet and just leave it there.

Don't put in display over the mantle in Montana and ignore it for 6 months. tongue.gif

Check your scope mounts periodically and clean your scope per the manufacturer's instructions.

If you're traveling or in a camp, I'd suggest at least taking a bottle of Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner and a bore snake.

I'm sure I've probably left out something vastly important, but it's like trying to explain to someone how to ride a bike, just sitting here typing out the words.

Perhaps I should make a Benelli cleaning and care video :confused:

[ 09-27-2006, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Wow... I cannot even BEGIN to thank you enough. I'll have to run out and grab all the cleaning supplies today. I plan on going out for a little target practicing this weekend; a great time to give cleaning this thing a try.

How often do you think I should be cleaning the rifle? When I bought it, the salesman suggested once every 50 rounds, but I'd think it would be best to clean it after every outing.

• 3 years later...

To a degree, the ammo quality matters.

While all modern metallic cartridge ammunition is non-corrosive, some varieties and brands tend to be "dirtier" than others.

Lower quality brands like Wolf, for example, generally leave behind more residue than do premium brands,

• 2 weeks later...
I just purchased the R1 with the ComforTech stock in .30-06 this weekend, along with a 4-12x40mm Leupold scope. After sighting it in, I figured I should probably remove what little residue the gun collected as quickly as possible. Is there anything special I should make note of while disassembling and cleaning the R1? What should I use? How should it be done? This is my first semi-automatic firearm, and I want to make sure that I take good care of it, because at $1,165 it certainly wasn't cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Although new to these forums, I read Steve's excellent gas piston thread (hmmm, don't have link privileges yet) awhile back. Now that I have an R1 in the family (.270WSM), I've been working to get Steve's cleaning tips down. The "Gas Piston" classic thread would add a lot to any R1 cleaning thread. Check it out.