My R1 270 wsm jammed 3 times out of 20 shots tonight

lordform

My 300 WSM jammed 3 times in the first 80-100 rounds. At least two of the times I was using Fusion 165 shells. All 3 may have been Fusions, but I am not sure. I have been using Federal shells since and haven't had any other problems. I probably have another 60 shells through it w/o any problems.

I was telling a guy at a local store about some concerns I had regarding the gun's accuracy. He said that he too had concerns about the gun in general before he had a chance to shoot it. He was the gun manager for this store, and said that the Benelli rep gave him his personal R1 and 250 rounds of shells to go learn first hand. He said the rep asked one thing: shoot all 250 rounds w/o cleaning the gun. He wasn't trying to sell me anything and seemed very genuine. He said the gun performed flawlessly throughout all 250 rounds. He did say that the gun gradually became less accurate as he got deper into the 250 rounds, but as a whole, he loved it.

Hope it helps.

thanks for the info

just for an update, i went back to the range tonight and did shoot a different brand of cartridge. I went from Federal Premium vital shock accubond 140gr to Winchester supreme ballistic silvertip 130gr.

No jamms tongiht and I shot about a box and 3/4 through it. I think its ok and I am releived. Now I want to start to enjoy my Benelli.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a few problems early on for every 100 rounds or so. If I used PMC ammo it was really bad (1 round out of every 4 - and found them to have a slightly over sized ring neck on the case). After a bit of investgating with variuos types of ammo, I found the tang on the magazine to be leaving gouges on the cases so I bent the tang out a bit with my multi-tool. Has worked great ever since.

These days if I have a problem cycling rounds it has usually been a failure to eject and I'm sure I did not have the butt of the rifle pressed into my shoulder good enough causing the rifle to move excessively during firing (I have the bruise from my 300 WM to prove it). Anyone firing a Baretta pistol with a limp wrist will attest to a failure to cycle also.

Good Luck,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know that you switched ammo to solve this issue but that is only part of the equation. If you intend to shoot only this new brand and bullet weight and your gun shoots it well so much for the issue. However the bigger probelm with these guns tend to be the spring adjustment in the forend. Kind of like a gas port gun this spring can be adjusted to accomodated different ammo pressure levels and that many times causes these guns to be less than accurate or not "reliable'. However once they are tuned these guns can be both accurate and reliable.