Cycling problems...

69cooters

I am an avid waterfowler, and I have had my Benelli for sometime now. although with some problems as of late.

First it is a H&K SBE ser# U0530_ _

Last year while in Canada, goose hunting, and I had some miss-feed's. I degreased the entire action and spayed a LITE coat of Rem. oil on it. That seemed to help for awhile.

Since then however it has been getting more and more of a problem. A friend said something about my return spring, so a started watching the gun when I had problems. Indeed, that was the problem. The rotary bolt was not rotating to it's needed position.

Cleaning had less an less of an impact on the problem.

I saw an after market return spring made of stainless. So, I bought one and installled it. This had little, if any, effect.

Then I read on a website about the chamber mouth getting "sharp" and hindering lock up. could this be my problem? Help!

I shoot my gun well, and like it, but if you don't have confidence in the fact your guns will make three Bangs, why shoot it?

Matt

Dont use use rem oil on your benellis.

Dry-based lubricants can gum and slow the actions. I know this from experience. Hopes WeatherGuard Oil (in the BLACK bottle) works great in cold temps and the Hopes 9 (in the ORANGE bottle) works good in all conditions.

Do you use an action cleaner or brake cleaner when you degrease the action? If you dont then use it and brush (or q-tip) to scrub the rails that the bolt rides in. Also, when degreasing the action make sure to degrease and lighty oil the inside of the magazine and its spring. Make sure your magazine spring is still true to its normal length as well. Slow shells out of the magazine can cause cycling problems as well. You may want to replace your plastic follower and iron spring with a SMR stainless spring and aluminum follower (about $25).

I'm not sure if its your problem but it might help.

[ 11-16-2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: tj ]

Its true Benelli's love oil. Not grease. Also make sure the recoil assy is oiled. On the SBE its really easy. When the barrel is off, use a cleaning rod to push the recoil plunger all the way down in the back and drip some oil into it and work it in. Also you could have a loose ejector and a few other problems that just need some TLC. But if that really doesnt remedy the problems Id just send it to Benelli. Believe it or not they are very reasonable in the repair shop on non warranty items.

If the chamber mouth is getting sharp, the shells will hang up trying to enter the chamber and you will see a cut on the crimp when you look at the end of the shell that jammed.

Yes, use the SureCycle mag spring kit in all Benellis.

Take the recoil tube assembly apart and make sure the tube is clean and smooth inside. I made a drill attachment with a 20 guage bore brush & rod and I run that inside the tube every now and then. I wrap some steel wool into the brush as well.

I use BreakFree lube with no problems.

Good luck!

mudhen - CA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by tj:

Dont use use rem oil on your benellis.

Dry-based lubricants can gum and slow the actions. I know this from experience. Hopes WeatherGuard Oil (in the BLACK bottle) works great in cold temps and the Hopes 9 (in the ORANGE bottle) works good in all conditions.

Do you use an action cleaner or brake cleaner when you degrease the action? If you dont then use it and brush (or q-tip) to scrub the rails that the bolt rides in. Also, when degreasing the action make sure to degrease and lighty oil the inside of the magazine and its spring. Make sure your magazine spring is still true to its normal length as well. Slow shells out of the magazine can cause cycling problems as well. You may want to replace your plastic follower and iron spring with a SMR stainless spring and aluminum follower (about $25).

I'm not sure if its your problem but it might help.

Take a look at the post on " Sport II cycling problems"! I maintain over 25 Benelli's, some of the obove post's are good. Let me work on a a good written up presentation that will go along way in answering this common theme, CYCLING PROBLEMS & RECOIL SPRINGS. Truely, with knowledge and well timed maintainence this is a managable issue.

• 3 weeks later...