Snow Goose in Nebraska

Likwid

1) Roast the whole bird breast side down, low and slow with apples, celery and onion in the bird. Add a little wine, juice or water in the bottom of the roasting pan for moisture. Rub some sage, rosemary or thyme into the skin before roasting.

2) The way we like best is to cut the breasts into 1" cubes. Marinate in italian dressing, with a little worcestshire sauce, minimum 8 hours. Wrap each cube with 1/2 slice of bacon, skewer with toothpick and grill till medium and bacon slightly crispy. Watch our for fire flare-ups! Kids pop these like crazy.

3) Marinate breasts in caribbean jerk marinade or other and just grill them till medium. Do not over cook!

My favorite for goose is jerky. Bought one of those monster calking guns that you can put meat in and it will shoot out these nice strips if meat. Just grind your goose brest in a hamberger grinder and mix it with one of the prepackeged jerkey mixes make a series of strips of meat on the pan and stick it in the oven for however long the directions say to. on a side note the jerkey WILL taste better if you let it sit a day in the frige I don't know why this is but it's the truth. There is nothing more satisfing than eating your own jerkey while hunting knowing that with every bird that you shoot it is just that much more jerkey for you :cool:

likwid,

there is no limit on the snow geese during the conservation order in nebraska. i will be out there for 8 days starting Feb 25th. So good luck to ya and post up some pictures when you get back.

check out this link for further info on the hunt!!!http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/guides/waterfowl/waterfowl.asp

Wow, those sounds like some good recipies, thanks guys. :D I checked out that website as well....and if I read the "taking" part properly, it means that you can use a shotgun without a plug in it. So between that, and no daily limit, my buddy and I may have to go buy a little more ammo. We are going on the 22nd and plan on returning home around the 26th-28th. The only thing I don't really understand about it are the "zones". I'm not at all familiar with any of the locations listed. The only thing we know for sure is that we will be in eastern Nebraska.

And yes, there will be plenty of pictures to post. ;)

Thank you for all of your help guys, keep the advice coming, as I am a newbie.

[ 02-11-2006, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Likwid ]

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Nebraska last night, it was a lot different than I thought it would be. Our hunt started in Niobrara, but it had gotten so cold that the rivers, lakes and ponds froze over....so the geese went back south. we loaded up our gear and headed south to Lexington where we saw thousands of them flying. A mix of Canadians, Blues and Snows. We ended up talking to some local farmers in the bars later than night and we hooked up with a farmhand who got us permission to hunt a few local cornfields.

So, the next morning we went out early and setup our decoys and layouts. We had a pretty good spot, but the weather was not very cooperative. By any normal standards, it was a beautiful day... not a single cloud in the sky, about a 15 mph wind and all sunshine. It didn't take us long to realize that we could not possibly decoy a flock of 500 birds. We got lucky on a flyover and got 4 birds, but that was after sitting there for half the day.

It's really hard to hunt these things, because they were sitting out in the middle of 2-mile cornfields. We had no approach that was covered, no bad weather to push them down, and no way of dealing with huge flocks that seem to get up and fly every 10-20 minutes for no apparent reason. These birds were very skiddish, even our truck driving down the road from over a nile away seemed to flush them out.

To answer your question, I would stay on the eastern side of the state, away from the restircted zones. You might have to go a little north, too, as the warmer weather is opening up a lot of the frozen water that we couldn't hunt when we got there. This was my first try at hunting snow geese. I can now say from expereince that it isn't very easy. Good luck in your hunt. :D

When you're where they want to be, you can't shoo them away.

When you're elsewhere, nothing brings 'em in.

Most successful hunts are from following and watching the birds, and setting up where they were the day before.

2 mile cornfields make it tough.

One footnote:

I'm anal, so please bear with me.

Canada goose

Canada geese

Canadians are people from Canada, not geese :cool:

Hey Tuck :cool:

The cornfields were really tough, and we put on at least 800 miles driving the dirt roads all over Nebraska following these things. Some of the fields were 2x2, some were 4x4, and not many hills. I've never hunted these birds before our trip, and if we go again things will be done a lot differently.

I would think that by now they are well north of where we were in the southeast area. On our way back, we noticed a lot more open water than there was 3 days prior. All in all it was a good trip, regardless of the number of birds taken. Next year we will likely go up to Canada, but the focus will be on ducks rather than geese. :D