Canada - gun registration

simp-ink

you say that they are not going to make you register your guns. that's good. then you say that you wish that they would put more restrictions on handguns. that's NOT good. please keep your thoughts concerning this in canada. i am not trying to start a fight, i just do not like restrictions on my guns.

I normally go to Alaska every summer and I really like to carry my .44 while I'm in the bush. It's such a pain to get it through Canada that I have it sent ahead of me. Cost's just $20 cdn. and a couple of minutes of paperwork to bring a shotgun and two rifles through.

Pick one of the hundred of thousands of crime victims here in the US who have stopped those crimes because they were able to carry a gun and then tell them they didn't need it. Estimates have been as high as 2.5 million times a year that US citizens use a gun for protection.

Hey, Simp. Define registering? In the states here, it's a simple background check for long guns usually, and and a more detailed background check for handguns. There may or may not be a waiting period, depending on where you live. I'm sure we are stored in massive data base of sorts, just in case the powers that be feel the need to flex their muscles. If there is a God in heaven, our 2nd amendment rights as Americans will hold strong. Best of luck!

John h...In Canada we have to take a test and then submit a series of forms with references to the Governement of Canada . This will give you a F.A.C. otherwise known as a P.A.L. now. This will allow you to buy non restricted guns. After that you have to submit you gun's serial #'s to the government or if you buy from a dealer you have to do a transfer of registration. Then they will send you your papers in the mail, with this you would then leagally own the gun. If you want to buy a restricted gun you do the same thing but you must take another course or write a test for a restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence along with the non-restricted course or test and then go through the gun registration process. But once they get rid of the registration process all you will need is you licences as in PAL ..to buy the guns and thats from my understanding of the situation but there may be some changes , wont know exactly untill the conservatives actually go through with getting rid of the registration process...

[ 04-13-2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: simp ]

• 2 weeks later...

Simp,

My problem with ANY gun restriction, is criminals don't abide by laws.

Its already illegal to murder someone, rob a store, etc. Are there not laws on the book saying they cannot do this? There are also harsh consequences for killing someone yet they continue to do it.

So why should honest law abiding citizens register their guns, when criminals will always get their guns off of the streets, do you think they're going to register theirs?

If laws and restrictions would solve the problem, the problem should already be solved as its already illegal to shoot someone.

I go round and round with a professor here at LSU. He's from Canada and is as far left as you can get. He beleives we should turn in all of our guns and use them like a book at a public library. When I want to go hunting for a weekend, I show up at the police station "check out" my gun, go hunting and then return it when I'm finished.

I asked him if he thought I'd have enough time to "check out" my gun at 2:00 in the morning if someone decided to break into my house. He said I shouldn't want to shoot them anyway because maybe its someone thats lost, or maybe its a handicapped person at the wrong house.

I asked him if he thought all the criminals would stand in line to turn in their guns, and he said they would have to because its the law.

Laws are for honest people, simple as that. Why punish honest law abiding citizens when the criminals will do what they want.

I was talking about hand guns...if you want to go hunting take your shotgun or your rifle.....I just like there is way to many hand guns out there that don't need to be and you have the right to think what you want to think i'm not going to get into this as i stated above.

Originally posted by simp:

I was talking about hand guns...if you want to go hunting take your shotgun or your rifle.....I just like there is way to many hand guns out there that don't need to be and you have the right to think what you want to think i'm not going to get into this as i stated above.

Well, I was talking about handguns. Do you think the thugs are going to walk in and turn in their guns?

I wish every woman out there would have a handgun in their purse so they could defend themselves when the rapists try to make a move. I wish all the women would have a gun and put a stop to it on the spot.

I agree there are too many handguns on the streets, but laws will only reduce the number of guns honest law abiding citizens have. I'm not worried about these people being armed.