Duck Stamp Changes

Remy

WASHINGTON Jul 24, 2006 (AP)— The popular "duck stamp" program, which has generated some $700 million for wildlife habitat preservation since its inception in 1934, will go electronic on a trial basis under legislation approved by Congress Monday.

The measure passed by the House would set up a three-year pilot program in 15 states enabling hunters, conservationists and stamp collectors to purchase their duck stamps over the phone or Internet. The vote was 358-4.

"Hunters will be able to spend more time enjoying nature rather than waiting in lines to purchase their duck stamp," Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, said in an earlier statement. The bill has already cleared the Senate.

Under the 1934 law, all migratory waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older must buy a federal migratory bird hunting and conservation stamp annually.

Revenue from the stamps, different from hunting licenses, have been used to preserve some 5.2 million acres of migratory waterfowl habitat.

Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., said 122 million stamps have been sold. He said that if the three-year pilot program proves successful, Congress could act to make the electronic sales permanent.

The bill is S. 1496

In case anyone was wondering, the four stooges who voted no are:

Jeff Flake ® - AZ

Trent Franks ® - AZ

Connie Mack ® - FL

Tom Tancredo ® - CO

Apparently, the bill contained no pork their states and was thus of no use to them.

My state had a co-sponsor tongue.gif

[ 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

I always seem to go to the post office on the same day that all the senoirs get their social security checks, so I end up waiting in line for old Auntie Gertrude to buy her 7 stamps with exact change. smile.gif

This new deal sounds awesome, what states will be trying it out? When? TELL ME!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I like that idea. And this post reminded me I need to go get the 'ol hunting license renewed before early Teal later next month.

I live in a small town, so a "line" at the post office is 5 minutes wait, maybe.

Republicans voting "no" to a conservationist act? WTH? They must be those old "computers are evil!" activist types.

-Jason

What? AZ has the the BEST duck hunting ANYWHERE. How can it not, with all the water everywhere.

Actually, I don't know anyone here who hunts waterfowl. There is a season, though, so there must be someone who hunts them. The fine AZ leadership must have thought the duck stamp does significant financial harm to those 3 people here in the state who actually have to buy it