diaphram call help

dovekiller

I am going to go turky hunting next spring and I was told by a friend that I should buy a diaphram call and start practicing.He then told me that it was extremely hard to learn how to use.Yesterday I bought a diaphram call and man was my friend right.I cant even get the slightest sound out of it.I would like any advice you have to help me out.Thank you for your time.(we really need to get more people in these different subjects other than benelli

Originally posted by dovekiller:

I am going to go turky hunting next spring and I was told by a friend that I should buy a diaphram call and start practicing.He then told me that it was extremely hard to learn how to use.Yesterday I bought a diaphram call and man was my friend right.I cant even get the slightest sound out of it.I would like any advice you have to help me out.Thank you for your time.(we really need to get more people in these different subjects other than benelli

Hunter's Specialties offers several different types of diaphram calls and even have some that have instructional audio tapes that are included. Regardless, the diaphram is probably the hardest to use. If you can't seem to get the hang of it I would recommend getting a slate call.

Also, has anyone checked out that new Super Black Eagle with the Steady Grip. A friend of mine got one and loves it. He says he's even going to use it for waterfowl this season.

Originally posted by dovekiller:

First make sure that you have it the right way in your mouth. Seems silly but when I first tried one it didn't have instructions and I put it in backward. The open part faces to the back of your mouth. Most have a bump or ridge to note which end goes up toward the roof of your mouth. Usually the bump is up. Now place the call on the roof of your mouth and place the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth with the rest of your tongue on the call. With some pressure behind your tongue try to say the words Chee-uk. This should give you a yelp. Practice, get a tape and keep working on it. It helps to actually have someone show you and to listen to you and tell you what sounds like a turkey. It took me a while to get it down (about 3-5 months) but stick with it.