Nova Turkey Choke

BenelliBoy

• 2 years later...

Hi I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel.I shot 3.5s and 3s in Winchester high velocity turkey load through the factory full choke and was not pleased at all. If the shot is 30 yards or less you could pull it off fine.Any thing past that and you'll be lucky for a humane shot. Then I shot the same loads through a primos jelly head choke.I shot at 50 yards with it and the factory full choke and there is no comparison. With the jelly head its alot better.The factory choke is not made for that. There were plenty of deadly pellets in the target from the jelly head. Closer in and you have an awesome pattern. Im still not satisfied so I ordered a mad hevi shot turkey choke and am going to shoot some hevi shot through it at 50 yds and farther at the range and see what happens. Ill let you know what happens. But I would not use the factory full choke for turkeys unless you can get them in close.see yah

I fail to understand why someone would risk wounding a bird by shooting at it at 50 yards and beyond. If you can't get them in closer than that, then let the bird go! The risk of just wounding the bird and never getting it is much higher out at that range. Chances are if you wound the bird it will crawl off somewhere and die. Work the bird closer in and then take a good killing shot! Just because we have great choke tubes to select from these days, don't let that lull you into believing that shots like that should be taken. Sure people will kill birds at that distance but that doesn't mean that taking that kind of shot is ethical. Hunter ethics should play a bigger role in our decisions to take the shot. When was the last time you saw a show about turkey hunting where the shots were taken at that distance. I personally can't remember seeing any being taken that far away.

Hi I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel.I shot 3.5s and 3s in Winchester high velocity turkey load through the factory full choke and was not pleased at all. If the shot is 30 yards or less you could pull it off fine.Any thing past that and you'll be lucky for a humane shot. Then I shot the same loads through a primos jelly head choke.I shot at 50 yards with it and the factory full choke and there is no comparison. With the jelly head its alot better.The factory choke is not made for that. There were plenty of deadly pellets in the target from the jelly head. Closer in and you have an awesome pattern. Im still not satisfied so I ordered a mad hevi shot turkey choke and am going to shoot some hevi shot through it at 50 yds and farther at the range and see what happens. Ill let you know what happens. But I would not use the factory full choke for turkeys unless you can get them in close.see yah

I have the same gun you do and the MAD Calls Super Max does a great job with Win HV 3 1/2 #6's.