Hevi-13

69beers

I used hevi-13 last year on turkey and had supper results useing it.I shot a turkey at 65 yards(measured off) using hevi-13 6s and droped him stone dead. I used LT Mod by Briley in my SBE11.I`m on the Hevi-shot web site with my turkey from last year.You should give it a try I think you will be glad you did.It patterns great at 40 yards with 6s and 4s and I can say even farther if you need it.Good hunting and be safe,Boo

• 2 years later...

I have tried the Hevi-13. I love it. I shoot a SBE2 with a Pure Gold turkey choke tube. On paper I have very impressive results out to 70 yards but, more improtantly I have one shot kills at ranges from 10 to 60 yards. The 60 yard shot was on a turkey that was flying after I bumped him walking out. I used the 3in. #6 shot shell with 1.75 oz. of shot. They prefomed very well in my friends 870 also.

I love the stuff. Word on the street is that there is going to be a higher velocity version in the near future. The current speed of 1,090 fps is a little low for my taste, but I can't say too much because my freezer has a lot of meat in it from those "slow" loads!:p

Choke wise, my two Benellis, and my 870 seem to love the two Primos offerings: The Tight-Wad, and The Jelly Head

I still love H-13. I shoot it in 12 gauge 3.5" #6's, SBE II, Jellyhead .660, for the most part. It is my favorite early season load.

Later on in the season and on road trips, I tend to go with the Win XR's in #6's and #5's. Higher velocity for a little more yardage.

I've yet to kill a bird with my 10 gauge BPS and H-13 #5's, but this may be the year :)

Word on the street is that there is going to be a higher velocity version in the near future. The current speed of 1,090 fps is a little low for my taste, but I can't say too much because my freezer has a lot of meat in it from those "slow" loads!

I e-mailed Hevi-Shot about the 'street word', and they said to tell you that the 'street' was incorrect :D

They are happy winning still contests with the 1090 fps, and they have no plans to speed it up :)

I have heard that more speed with H-13 only degrades the pattern, and that is why they stick with 1090.

For me, this keeps some Win XR's in the vest due to the speed and the need for a bit more range at times.

XR's out-penetrate H-13 at longer ranges in my tests, so I'll keep both around for now.....

I'm sure they hang on your every word, losing sleep every night wondering if they will hear from you or not..

Maybe, maybe not :)

But, I just cancelled a $300 H-13 order with MidSouth based on your comments here, and I let HS know this along with your name, and a link to this post, so I hope they can verify the situation for me so I can get some ammo ordered and hit the boards pretty quick here :D

I'm not associated with them in any way, so that choice is on you.I am a customer and I use their products only because I like them. They get money from my pocket just the same as they do yours.

Either way, I will still be shooting H13 this Spring, unless something else strikes my fancy.

Edited by CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

I've got both a Benelli M1 and a SBE1. I've shot the Hevi-13 2 oz in both guns thru an Indian Creek .665 with poor results. What brand and size choke are you using to get good patterns with this load in your M1's and SBE1's??

I have tried the IC in .655 & .665 in my SBE II with just so so results using the 3.5# & 3" H-13 6's.

Best results so far have been from my .660 Jellyhead or my .660 Rhino, but even these results are about the same as the Win XR 6's.

For me, this keeps some Win XR's in the vest due to the speed and the need for a bit more range at times.

XR's out-penetrate H-13 at longer ranges in my tests, so I'll keep both around for now.....

Mudhen,

what test did you do with the Xtended Range ? I like these shells myself but i read somewhere that it didnt penetrate thru ply wood at 50 yrds but the hevi 13 blew holes

I havent done any such test but would like to know about your test.

Here are the references: from another forum

"I compared Winchester supreme's versus Remington Hevi Shot. Both were 3 1/2" #5's shot out of an 870 SPST. Both shells patterned about the same @ 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. The only difference I noticed was the awsome penetration of the Hevi shot's. I used 1/4 inch plywood for a backstop. The Hevi shot went clean through the plywood @ 50 yards, but the Winchester barely stuck in the board and came out with a flick of a fingernail. That's what sold me on the Hevishot. Also, the bird I shot this year was exactly 50 steps and broadside. When I took the breast meat out I noticed pellets that penetrated through both breast."

and then another

"My dad noticed the same thing.. We have shot Hevi-Shot, Hevi 13, Federal Heavy-Weight, and the WInchester XR... He noticed there were some silver pellets that were not even going through our wooden backstop while alomst all the other pellets were.. We found it was the XR..It put the most pellets in the target at 50 yards in his gun, but he has switched to #5 Hevi-Shot due to the lack of penetration in the XRs."

thanks,

HH

Edited by HH

Mudhen,

what test did you do with the Xtended Range ? I like these shells myself but i read somewhere that it didnt penetrate thru ply wood at 50 yrds but the hevi 13 blew holes

I havent done any such test but would like to know about your test.

Here are the references: from another forum

"I compared Winchester supreme's versus Remington Hevi Shot. Both were 3 1/2" #5's shot out of an 870 SPST. Both shells patterned about the same @ 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. The only difference I noticed was the awsome penetration of the Hevi shot's. I used 1/4 inch plywood for a backstop. The Hevi shot went clean through the plywood @ 50 yards, but the Winchester barely stuck in the board and came out with a flick of a fingernail. That's what sold me on the Hevishot. Also, the bird I shot this year was exactly 50 steps and broadside. When I took the breast meat out I noticed pellets that penetrated through both breast."

and then another

"My dad noticed the same thing.. We have shot Hevi-Shot, Hevi 13, Federal Heavy-Weight, and the WInchester XR... He noticed there were some silver pellets that were not even going through our wooden backstop while alomst all the other pellets were.. We found it was the XR..It put the most pellets in the target at 50 yards in his gun, but he has switched to #5 Hevi-Shot due to the lack of penetration in the XRs."

thanks,

HH

I've never liked plywood for shotgun penetration testing. I prefer phonebooks. I get very similar results from phonebook testing when comparing H-13 to XR's. I suspect it is related to H-13 being 1090 fps, and the XR's being 1225 fps, but not sure.

Remington HS has not been made in around three years, but while it was available, it was a real hammer at 1250 fps or something like that. I could never get it to pattern well enough to use for turkeys, but a boat load of ducks died from it for me. I can't get the Wingmaster HD turkey loads to pattern any better than the original Remington HS.

Of course, I don't pattern at 50 yards, so I wouldn't know about those that claim H-13 'blows' through plywood at 50 yards.

Also, I'm looking for 150-200 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards, so a few golden BB's (or golden 5's) at 50 yards that might kill a turkey are of no interest to me.

While I do take an occasion 40-45 yard shot, my average is around 15-20 yards, so I really don't go all out to test much past 40 yards.

Please accept our sincere apologizes for sending you incorrect energy information on our Winchester Supreme Hi-Density Extended Range Turkey loads.

The following is the correct information;

Estimated Down Range Energy for Winchester Xtenden Range

Load DescriptionPellet Energy (Individual) (Ft. Lbs.)

Muzzle Velocity of all (1225fps)

........................................................................ 10yds..... 20yds..... 30yds..... 40yds .....50yds .... 60yds

12ga 1 3/4oz #6 ................................................. 5.73 ........ 4.34 .... 3.32 ......... 2.57 ....... 2.01 ..... 1.59

12ga 1 3/4oz #5 .... ............................................7.56.... .... 5.85 ..... 4.55......... 3.58......... 2.84 ..... 2.28

12ga 1 3/40z #4 .................................................. 9.74.... ..... 7.67 ..... 6.05 ....... 4.83 .......3.89 ........3.17

If we can be of further help please contact us again.

Winchester Ammunition

Here is some useful info directly from Federal publication....

.................... federal heavyweight ........................ Lead shot

yrds .................... #5 ....... #6 ............................ #5 ......... #6

20 ....................... 8.28 ...... 6.14 ....................... 5.16 ........ 3.81

30 ....................... 6.37 ...... 4.65 ........................ 3.84 ....... 2.78

40 ........................ 4.99 ...... 3.58 ....................... 2.91 ....... 2.07

50 ........................ 3.94 ...... 2.79 ....................... 2.24 ....... 1.57

60 ......................... 3.15 ...... 2.20 ....................... 1.75........ 1.20

Edited by HH

• 1 month later...