R1 Left Hand Safety Conversion - Difficult

tucker301

Well, that was fun!

I just finished reversing the safety on my new R1 for left hand use. On a difficulty scale of one to ten, I'd have to give this task an 8.

The exploded parts diagram that ships with the rifle is certainly helpful, if not absolutely necessary. The most annoying thing is that you have to remove every single component of the trigger and hammer group in order to access the safety.

Come on Benelli, take a hint from Remington!!

The diagram is oriented as though looking from the muzzle end, with the safety closest to you.

A word of caution - The parts diagram wrongfully shows the trigger pin bushings (016W) being inserted with the flat head on the shooter's left-hand side of the trigger group. Re-assembly this way is possible, but you'll find that the retaining clip (018A) on the rearward pin bushing will interfere with the operation of the No-Load Indicator lever (219W).

It's better and easier to install both pin bushings from the shooter's right side of the group.

Also, be very careful with removing the safety for reversal. You can easily damage the rubber pin that makes the safety a quiet safety. In fact, I sheared mine off and ended up removing it altogether. The safety now "clicks", but no more so than a Remington or Browning.