slugs & barrel lenght

grey dog

I have been trying to find a good slug for my 870, it has full rifled barrel 23" with cantliever scope mount, I have shot until my shoulder is about to fall off. What are some good slugs? I've been shooting winchester 2 3/4" part. golds, remington copper solids, and some federal part. the tightest group i camn get is 2.5"- 3". Does slug shooting get any better than this? Does the barrel lenght make a differance in shotguns like it does rifles?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You might want to look into the Lightfield Hybrid EXP Sabot Slugs, they work better than anything else in my Nova Fully Rifled barrel, very consistent at 100 yards I get groupings of 1 1/2- 2", and I believe that is as good you can get with slugs at that distance, Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have a rifled Hastings 24 inch on mine and I trust only 2 slugs on my barrel. I throw my factory barrel because it doesnt give me a tight grouping than Hasting. Brenneke Gold and Lightfield Commander IDs are the two slugs I use. 1 to 1 and 1/2 are normal and sometimes the hits on the target are touching each other. Well, thats after years of shooting slugs and after I learned how to deal with the KICK of the slug. Last year I shot a buck with a Lightfield at a measured 87 yards from a treestand. One shot and the buck fell on his knees. Two years ago measured at 75 yards (same area) I was using Brenneke Gold and same result. Maybe I found a slug that MATCH my barrel. Try other brands, thats what I did until I found those 2. Now every year I see to it that I have at least 10 boxes of each to make sure I have available ammo when i go hunting. This year I am going to use LF again because my son who is going with me chose the Brenneke. He is a convert (from an expensive top of the line name brand to mid priced Brenneke) and doesnt want to use anything except BGold. He also bought a Hasting bbl and stopped saying that the factory knows what they are doing/selling and using on their guns. By the way I live on hunting deer with slug only state.