Do wasps count as big game?

tucker301

I was trying out my Savage model 12's new laminated stock and the new Leupold 6.5-20 yesterday when a wasp landed on the pallet holding the target at 125 yds.

I'd just dialed it in, so it was impossible to resist.

I could tell by the position of the hole that I was real close. When I walked down to check it out, there was a .224 hole with a wing stuck to one edge :D

You think the taxidermist can do anything with a wing?

[ 08-26-2005, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Even if the taxidermist thing is a wash you've done us all proud. Especially those of us who are unfortunately allergic to bee-stings. Nice varmit set-up you've got there. I guess it can also double as an insect repellent. Now if it were a bumble bee it wouldn't be all that impressive. All bs aside thats some pretty accurate work. Nice shooting. Oh are those big fat groundhogs going to pay. ****n you groundhogs, ****n you.....

Count me as one those allergic to the stings. Not to the point of being life-threatining, but a single honey bee sting on my finger can make the entire arm swell and ache.

That's why I enjoyed the shot so much!

As for the groundhogs, number 32 for this season was taken about 20 minutes after the wasp.

Here's the best group of the day.

I should've stopped at 3 :(

group.jpg

Originally posted by tucker301:

Hahaha, been there. I ask myself that all that time :D

Nice job on the wasp @ 125 yards, man I love doing that kind of stuff.

And I'm drooling all over my keyboard right now for a new Leapold to put on my M77 .270. They are so bright and clear, obviously since you plinked a wasp.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the scope and what did you pay for it? I've seen a few online and I'm debating whether to pay the extra at the store or have one sent to me....

Thx

I snagged that one off of ebay for $445.

It's the older model VX III with the 1" tube and AO.

I watched ebay listings twice a day for about three weeks until this one showed up.

The reason it didn't bring more was because the seller made the title as "Leupold Scope".

People searching for Vari-XIII, 6.5X20, and so on didn't find it unless they check the option to search in the item description.

When I got it, I was more than pleased.

Appeared to be brand new, possibly a display model.

Be careful if you go to ebay looking for one.

There's a seller on there now who I'm pretty sure is a crook. He's hiding his feedback, and when I asked him about it he offered no explanation other than to say that's why it's private.

He's around 85% and his ID has been changed recently.

He also won't accept PayPal. Checks and MO's only.

Yeah I'm the same way with those fing bee's. Man you got a steal on that scope. I love e-bay, the pawn shop for the world. (Not to mention there stock has split twice since I've owned it.) Another thing I wasn't sure if your model 12 was chambered in 22-250. I believe the model 12 comes in 3 calibers. But 22-250 is definitely a fun round to shoot. I couldn't believe the fps when I first came across the 22-250. I thought the info. I was given was wrong. Well it isn't and the 22-250 is one of the fastest moving rounds around. That bad boy can get to over 4000 fps. I'd take tuckers advice on dealing with anyone on e-bay thats hiding their feedback. Theres only one logical reason to hide feedback, and thats cause its lousy. Plus a name change, I'd stay away. Tucker is due a ty for the heads up, oh and for taking the bee population down of course.

Originally posted by FN_FAL:

I believe the model 12 comes in 3 calibers.

Yes, it does, but the Savage is fairly modular in design. Any user with a just a bit of knowledge can easily change out the barrels on them. All that's needed is a $15 tool for the locking nut and sized case of the desired caliber.

There are several makers of aftermarket barrels whose products fit with no modifications whatsoever.

As long as you stay within the action length and bolt face size, the possibilities are endless.

The bolt faces can also be easily swapped, so my current 22-250 can be made into just about any SA caliber.

The WSSM's might be the only limits.

I shot a Remington 700 for years. Never again.

Count me as one those allergic to the stings. Not to the point of being life-threatining, but a single honey bee sting on my finger can make the entire arm swell and ache.

That's why I enjoyed the shot so much!

As for the groundhogs, number 32 for this season was taken about 20 minutes after the wasp.

group.jpg

That must have been a lucky shot since your group is 4 inches left of center. Or let me guess you were aiming for the 4. No you shouldn't have stopped you should have zeroed your scope.

I think Dr-Burns is actually GG or The Gun Guy under a different handle. C'mon GG, I mean Dr-Burns you can be honest. Hey Burns why did you even join this board? To trash talk a respected member like tucker thats helped many people with good advice? Why not button it if you don't have anything positive to contribute. Don't let the door knob hit ya where the Cane Corso should of bit ya...

Originally posted by FN_FAL:

I think Dr-Burns is actually GG or The Gun Guy under a different handle. C'mon GG, I mean Dr-Burns you can be honest. Hey Burns why did you even join this board? To trash talk a respected member like tucker thats helped many people with good advice? Why not button it if you don't have anything positive to contribute. Don't let the door knob hit ya where the Cane Corso should of bit ya...

I find it humorous that so many people take the advise of someone that obviously can't shoot. Take a look the (man) talks of accuracy and post a picture 4"s off. What are you guys looking for in a rifle? Something that hits the paper? You guys must have a low self esteem

quote by Tucker301

"I've already discounted your so called expertise in another thread. Do you really want to get trashed here to?

you have done nothing but discredit your creditabilty. People think that you are somebody because you've been on the forum for almost a year. You haven't shown me anything but that your arrogance is only superceded by your inabilities. You should stick with computers.

Yo, doc.

F5

Having somone show their "best group of the day" is just that... their best group of the day...

NFL players play their best game of the week... even if they lose... it was just that... their best game of the week... it is called "being human".

You go Tucker!

"Lil Yorkie

I appreciate the comments, Yorkie.

I found this article this morning while looking around for information on long-range precision shooting.

Pretty amazing, and ambitious to try a varmint at 2 miles.

In the 10 seconds it takes for the bullet to get there, the little sucker could go in for a nap.

[ 09-08-2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Tuck,

First of all -- Good shooting!

And I think most of us get the part where you where grouping on the #4. Point being: 'The bullseye is whatever you are shooting at.' I have no idea why anyone would think to only ever shoot at the middle of a target sheet. You go thru a lot of paper targets that way for no reason. If you only ever shoot at the designated bullseye you also only ever use a butter knife to slice butter. That or the good Dr just likes to pull your chain for fun and in that case -- well, let us leave the misery to the miserable.

I do agree you should have stopped at 3 rounds and perhaps given your gun a chance to cool off. Not that I'm any expert at all, but after 2 rounds the barrel starts to distort from heat and changes the ballistics of the gun. In the Army (which I am in) we call that simply enough a "hot barrel" and recommend a cool off period. Seems like it may be 3 rounds in your case before the 2 the army recommends before you start to compensate for changing ballistic characteristics. Fluted barrel I'm guessing? There are charts and stuff, but it really comes down to knowing your gun's unique behavior.

BTW, as you know Benelli cryo treats the R1's barrel to resist hot barrel warping and maintain consistency -- Smart guys and gals there at Benelli. Do you find a similar result with your R1? If so, after how many rounds? I have yet to get to the range for any quality shooting to find out for myself.

You go Tucker,

Glenn

The R1 will string as it heats, mostly because of the attachment to the gas system and the lightweight sporter contour.

Yeah, I know the doctor was being antagonistic, but I couldn't resist editing the picture for him :D

If he's a proctologist, he's surely his own biggest patient :eek:

Yes, the Savage was a varmint contoured fluted barrel. I'm still getting used to her, and even though I did allow about 90 seconds cooling between rounds, it was pretty warm that day.

Can't wait for one of those low dewpoint, crisp Fall days.

I also just ordered dies for the 22-250, so I'm eager to begin working up a pet load for her.

If shoots like this with factory ammo, great things may be in the near future.