Recommended R-1 Ammo

Z-Balls

I just recently purchased the R-1 comfort tech in 300 Win/Mag. Although not my first Benelli, it is my first Benelli Rifle. Does anyone have Ammo Recommendations before I start my test groupings. The Federal Round loaded with the New Barnes Bullet looks good!!!!!!

Any Thoughts??

Z-Balls

Depends on what you intend to hunt, but I'd try all the premium ammunition from different brands. I've had pretty good luck with 165gr Hornady ammo in my bolt action .300. My autoloader .300 likes Federals. Different bullets match up better or worse with the unique vibrations or ocillations of your individual gun barrel as they're fired. All barrels are different. That's why YOUR gun might shoot cloverleafs using Hornadys and the next guys gun shoots 2" groups with the same ammo. Try different weights and different brands. Unfortunately; there's no easy way around the laborious, time consuming and somewhat expensive trial & error testing ... if you want the maximum accuracy from an out of the box gun.

Originally posted by Butch-M:

Depends on what you intend to hunt, but I'd try all the premium ammunition from different brands. I've had pretty good luck with 165gr Hornady ammo in my bolt action .300. My autoloader .300 likes Federals. Different bullets match up better or worse with the unique vibrations or ocillations of your individual gun barrel as they're fired. All barrels are different. That's why YOUR gun might shoot cloverleafs using Hornadys and the next guys gun shoots 2" groups with the same ammo. Try different weights and different brands. Unfortunately; there's no easy way around the laborious, time consuming and somewhat expensive trial & error testing ... if you want the maximum accuracy from an out of the box gun.

Thanks for your help Butch.......My primary game is Whitetails...But I have plans for an up-coming Caribou Hunt and figure to go out West for Elk before I die. I'm gonna start with the Federal 180's w/ the Barnes TSX bullet If I can get good results with the 180's, I'll use them for most everything......... We'll see... Thanks again and stay safe,

Z-Balls

Great bullet. Great company. I know quite a few guys who swear by them. I saw one of them taken out of a deer and the pedal peeling or mushrooming was "perfect!" Don't be afraid to try a lighter or heavier bullet in Federal if the 180's aren't giving you the groups you're looking for. Just about any bullet coming out of that .300 will down any whitetail or any caribou. So, personally, I'd go for the best accuracy. Good luck with the R1 ... nice choice. I'm jealous. LOL

Thanks Again Butch.....and don't be Jealous, you obviously know your stuff and probably have a great collection. I'm down-sizing....... Getting rid of 2 or 3 rifles for one nice one........ Same with shotguns...... Probably going to get a Legacy or Montifeltro gradeII in 20 Ga. The 5.3 lbs is attactive.......................

Z-Balls

Funny how it's hard to part with an old firearm. Many of mine have come down from my great grandfather, grandfather, Dad, and some old timer trusted friends. :cool: More sentimental than new Millennium practical. The guns I've gotten rid of went to my brother or son, so it didn't feel like getting rid of them really. The stuff I actually shoot is mostly pretty modern. It's also interesting how your perspective changes over the years ... 5.3lbs DOES look pretty attractive! :D I started out shooting a 30.06; went to a .300 WinMag for the last 30 years ... now more and more my mind is entertaining going to my Remington 700BDL in 30.06 that has been languishing in the back of the gun chest. smile.gif smile.gif Good Luck with your 20ga. Nice problem to have ... making such a choice. LOL