what size barrel

tbing13

• 4 weeks later...

Really a very personal matter of feel as to what works best for each of us. I personally prefer 28" barrels on doubles whether SxS or O/U on a hunting gun. For clays even longer is fine. For a pump or semiatuo I use both 26" and 28" and have no real preference unless I'm in tight quarters. For crow hunting where I might be hiding in thick tangles I like a barrel as short as 22" to 23" even.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the only difference in the two barrel lengths is how the shooter likes the weight, balance & swinging ability of the shotgun. Any shotgun expert will tell you that the difference in the two barrel lengths has absolutely no discernible effect on the pattern or effective range of the gun.

Cheers,

YJ

Originally posted by yankeejim:

Actually, the only difference in the two barrel lengths is how the shooter likes the weight, balance & swinging ability of the shotgun. Any shotgun expert will tell you that the difference in the two barrel lengths has absolutely no discernible effect on the pattern or effective range of the gun.

Cheers,

YJ

need to re-evaluate your definition of a shot gun expert..

It does, in fact, make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

All things being equal, barrel length has virtually no effect on pattern, so what yankeejim said is generally accepted as accurate. If there is any effect, it's so insignificant as to be ignored.

Since virtually all the powder in a shotgun shell is burned in the first 16-17 inches of the barrel, muzzle velocity is not higher in a long barrel than in a short barrel (this is not true for rifles where barrel length DOES affect muzzle velocity.)

That being said, all things are not equal. Lots of things affect pattern.

Different barrels of the same length, made in the same factory on two different machines, or the same gun with two different brands of choke tubes, will affect patterns.

Different shell loads will affect patterns. Different shot size will affect patterns. Different shot material (chilled lead, magnum lead, steel, bismuth, hevi-shot, etc.) will affect patterns.

I reload, so I know, different brands of powder will affect patterns.

The best way to determine how your gun patterns with different combinations is to go to a pattern board.

If you have exactly the same gun with exactly the same barrel, but one is 2 inches longer, there should be no discernible difference in the pattern.

To answer the original question, in my opinion (I do not purport myself to be an expert on anything)barrel length is a matter of personal taste.

[ 02-05-2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: timb99 ]

• 1 month later...

I had the chance to buy a FAIR 16 ga with a 25" barrel. It weight about 6 lb's. Sweet gun! It had fixed chokes so I didnt buy it. I'm not about to spend 2 grand on a gun then another 5 or 6 hundred to get tubes insalled and extra tubes.

But anyway I think a light gun with shot barrels are great for Grouse hunting.

Depends what your hunting for

for turkeys use a 21-24"- because you need too be able handle it easier without bumping anything.

for Upland game use a long barrel 26 rec.

because your just neandering along no neep for compact

for duck it's right in the middle 23-26" barrel depending on what you prefer

• 1 month later...

ok..... lemme set this straight for all u newbies, the difference between a 26 nd a 28 inch barrel is a 26 inch barrel will have a bigger shot pattern/spread, a 28 inch barrel will have a small shot pattern/spread, by those 2 inches of the barrel.

that goes for all types of shotguns, oh nd it depend on the choke u use too, if it is M IC F or w/e the symbols are for the chokes

Originally posted by timb99:

All things being equal, barrel length has virtually no effect on pattern, so what yankeejim said is generally accepted as accurate. If there is any effect, it's so insignificant as to be ignored.

Since virtually all the powder in a shotgun shell is burned in the first 16-17 inches of the barrel, muzzle velocity is not higher in a long barrel than in a short barrel (this is not true for rifles where barrel length DOES affect muzzle velocity.)

That being said, all things are not equal. Lots of things affect pattern.

Different barrels of the same length, made in the same factory on two different machines, or the same gun with two different brands of choke tubes, will affect patterns.

Different shell loads will affect patterns. Different shot size will affect patterns. Different shot material (chilled lead, magnum lead, steel, bismuth, hevi-shot, etc.) will affect patterns.

I reload, so I know, different brands of powder will affect patterns.

The best way to determine how your gun patterns with different combinations is to go to a pattern board.

If you have exactly the same gun with exactly the same barrel, but one is 2 inches longer, there should be no discernible difference in the pattern.

To answer the original question, in my opinion (I do not purport myself to be an expert on anything)barrel length is a matter of personal taste.

few things to say to this being a reloader myself ...

burn rates, volume, gas expansion ... geesh .. unburned powder is still a relevant fact in todays recepies...

Originally posted by benelli duck killer:

ok..... lemme set this straight for all u newbies, the difference between a 26 nd a 28 inch barrel is a 26 inch barrel will have a bigger shot pattern/spread, a 28 inch barrel will have a small shot pattern/spread, by those 2 inches of the barrel.

that goes for all types of shotguns, oh nd it depend on the choke u use too, if it is M IC F or w/e the symbols are for the chokes

WOW.. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...