Barrel length

BigE

New guy here. I want to start shooting sporting clays, but really cant afford multiple guns. Need to buy an all around gun. I prefer a superposed 12 ga, but I like the way a a short barrrel, i.e. 26 inch points. Is a 26, even with choke tubes completely unsuitable for sporting clays? Does it lack the reach of longer barrels? All guns marked as "sporting" seem to have 28 or 30 inch barrels. Any thoughts?

Many sporting clays shooters seem to like the 28" and longer, but the sighting plane on a 26" semi-auto is actually about the same length as the sighting plane on a 30" over & under, due to the longer receiver.

Consider this:

The overall length of a 26" SBEII is a 1/2" longer than the overall length of a 30" Alcione Sport.

So, from shoulder to bead, they are about equal.

As for patterns and range, there is no difference when using equally constricted chokes in various barrel lengths.

Originally posted by tucker301:

Many sporting clays shooters seem to like the 28" and longer, but the sighting plane on a 26" semi-auto is actually about the same length as the sighting plane on a 30" over & under, due to the longer receiver.

Consider this:

The overall length of a 26" SBEII is a 1/2" longer than the overall length of a 30" Alcione Sport.

So, from shoulder to bead, they are about equal.

As for patterns and range, there is no difference when using equally constricted chokes in various barrel lengths.

I just started sporting clays within the last 2 years.

Got to where I was hitting 50 to 60 out of 100 with a 26inch semi auto.Last time out i hit 82 with a 26 inch over under.Cant wait to get out and try again.For what its worth i think the shorter sight helped me. The o/u is about 5inches shorter overall than the semi.

• 2 weeks later...