Your advice please!

Nomaspescado

Hi there,

Because I have found great info here on turkey tubes ( I used mudhens advice on the Jellyhead tube...thank you!) I am hoping to clarify some other things I have heard here and on other forums.

I have a SBE II and am just now looking into getting a couple of new chokes for waterfowling.

My question mainly concerns the Terror and Primos tubes.

Concerning the Terror chokes, I have read several places that they pattern absolutely great. But, I have also read where there might be problems with expansion using larger shot size. Can this be verified by anyone here about the expansion problem?

-On a related note, I just got off the phone with SRM who told me that Benelli tubes are very thin and offer now room for error from the factory. He even told me to measure the tube both fore and aft of the threads to see if there is more than two or three thousandths difference in size.

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

I also shoot a benelli sbe II, I've used the terror .655 and the .675 and didn't like them at all. The .675 performed alright with heavy shot but not very well with steel shot. The .655 is a good choke for turkey, it shoots really tight with lead and other non-tox shot but with steel not worth it. If you are willing to dish out the cash go with a patternmaster or a wadwizard, I currently use the patternmaster and love it and from time to time the primos dead zone "decoy" tube when I'm shooting just ducks. The primos is a good tube for the price and all around use, all in all your best bet is to try them out and see which one works best in your gun and with what ammo. All of the choke tubes stated above have great resale value, good luck.

Thank you, simpink.

It's surprising to hear about how the Terror tubes are not performing with steel...I guess I've heard too many posts claiming the opposite.

It sounds like I should at least try out the Primos.

I've read a couple reports of the Primos tube coming lose which does not sound like a big deal to me...But, will I need to clean the tube of stuck wadding or anything like that because of the "claws" I hear they use? How many "shells" can I go through before the performance drops off?

Thanks again for your input,

Steve

I've never had my primos tube come loose on me yet, I always check after every shot no matter what choke i'm using, force of habbit i guess. As for cleaning it you should clean any choke you use after every outting, that's what i do. The primos decoy choke doesn't use the restricting teeth to catch the wad, i think it's only the "pass" tube that uses that system. Patternmaster uses the wad restriction as well and i've never had any problems with things getting stuck or caught in the teeth. I'm yet to have the performance drop off of any of my tubes yet and many shots have been run through them, you should get many years of use. I don't think this is something you should have to worry about, well good luck and hope it works out for ya!

OK, guys and gals

I have been searching for answers about the Terror chokes and found this on another forum.

http://www.refugeforums.net/refuge/showthread.php?t=499343

For those of us that have not had enough experience or put in enough time to see this ourselves (and are looking for first hand accounts) look at the above thread. There is lots of personal mud slinging, but many straight observations as well.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a week and a half hunt in Colusa and have a couple of observations...( of course I had fun :))

I purchased the Primos Decoy and Pass tubes for my SBE II, but did not have time to hit the patterning board before I left. (UPS guy literally met me at the door as I was leaving!)

Holy Cow, that Decoy tube shoots tight!

Based on shooting an old dead decoy at 40 yards, it shoots tighter than the factory Modified...I didn't even try the Pass tube.

I NEED to pattern these new chokes.

Read the link on "Duh Fuge" and gotta get off line for awhile as my neck is stiff and my eyes are sore!!!! That argument/discussion could go on for years! Guess I'm lucky, because my .675 Terror has worked great for (3) yrs. shooting 3 1/2" High Velocity BB's out of my SBEII. Never had a "tight" problem; in fact, have to re-tighten occasionally.