For mud.......and whoever

Heres what a DC round and a factory full choke do out of my Nova at 80 yards. Wasted a $3.00 shell just for you. I leaned againsted a truck for this shot, so if it was bench rest perfect, probably could have been better, and thats not all the pattern. Thats 26 pellets out of a 54 pellet round. I didn't have a bigger piece of wood laying around. Thats 4 T shots in the kill zone, same amount that was in my bird.

The pattern could be better, and I thought the bird was closer. That was my mistake, but the bird died quick and thats all that really matters. This was kind of a one time deal, I probably won't use this round again, or take a shot at that distance. I'll get a JH or a Rhino when I get my SBE II and do it proper. I'll learn to call this summer, just like I'm gonna do with ducks and geese. So you can quit fretting over this mud, I'm tired of arguing.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Nobody was arguing with you. Your test just proved the point we were trying to make. As you proved with your pattern at 80 yards there were only 4 pellets in that circle. Chances are only one or two of them actually could hit the neck or head to maybe kill it. If you would sit down and look at your picture and use some reasoning you would come to the same conclusion that myself and a lot of others came to, and that is there is a high probability with that shot that the bird could have been wounded and possibly later died.

Arguing? No! Trying to teach hunter ethics? Yes! It is how we embrace ethical hunting standards that people will judge us as hunters by. Have I done some bonehead things as a hunter? I hate to admit it, but I have. But even for an old fart like myself, I can learn. Constructive criticism never hurt anyone. Sometimes it can get under our skin, but it is what we do with that criticism that makes you who you are and what you can become. By the way you did take a pretty bird.

You did not see the post on the other forum. I got hammered by mud and several others. All for using bigger shot size. The best part is though, if their Winchester extended range's could hit a turkey at 80 yards, you bet your butt they would shoot them at that distance. I used bigger shot and shot one in the body at a greater distance, that is what I was going for, I wasn't trying to hit him in the head. It killed the turkey just fine, and he ate good too!

There was nothing unethical about what I did, and I honestly thought the bird was closer, 60-70 maybe, which would have been several more pellets. I forgot the rangefinder because I was too exited to go out and get a turkey, otherwise I probably would not have taken an 80 yards shot. But 4 pellets in the chest is going to kill a bird, heck, one would do it, it didn't hurt the meat to bad either.

Sdk, I used Hevi-shot dead coyote rounds, not a rifle. I think it is fall that allows rifles. Now if I was using my 17, could have taken him at 200 and under. Then I really would have been bashed.

I'll get a turkey choke and "turkey" rounds this fall and do it your way, that should make you turkey worshipers happy. I don't worship the turkeys I hunt, I shoot them. ;)

I got hammered by mud and several others.

I don't worship the turkeys I hunt, I shoot them.

You thought that was getting hammered? :D

If so, I've seen thicker skin on a bowl of pudding (no, not the bowl you are currently plowing through. Btw - fat guys can kid other fat guys :) )

I do tend to worship the game I slaughter. Makes me feel better about blowing the brains out of a harmless critter. But I do not like to see animals suffer, so I try to use the best equipment I can and make the brains-blowing-out process as swift as possible.

I cannot endorse your methods because, as you admitted, the animal did not die swiftly. I can only hope that, on my death bed, some intern doesn't have to step on my head to finish me off!

No matter though. Your bird was a clean 'Montana' kill. Nothing wrong with that. I might have to come up there and try to 'Montana' my own bird someday!

He died pretty quickly, faster then 90% of deer that get shot and he died faster then most turkeys that get arrowed, with the exception of the people that use the good ol' guillotine arrow. It doesn't bother me that I was getting hammered, never bothered me. I like a good argument. And I too hate when animals suffer, but the animal died with in 5 seconds, it was pretty quick. I wouldn't mind dying from a buck shot to the chest, espescially if it took 5 seconds or less. I wouldn't like an arrow, unless it was the guillotine. ;)

I like you mud, don't mind fat jokes either, giving or recieving end. But you tend to worship the bird you kill a little more then I do. I try and make a clean kill on everything I shoot, in this case, it was clean kill, he didn't run off and die in the woods, didn't run 100 yards then died, he got shot, jumped around a little then fell over dead. True he didn't die where he stood like the birds you shoot, but I'll get into that later, when I can call and use decoys the right way.

Heres the mount from the turkey, doesn't look that great, looked way better when I started. After three days of salting it, boraxing it, moving it around the tail feathers are a little messed up.

IMG_1424.jpg

Fan looks just fine to me.

If you PM me with a mailing address, I'll send you a few extra calls I have laying around if you want. I've got some good slates and box calls that I don't use.

I think if you try calling them in, you'll get hooked :)

I think if you try calling them in, you'll get hooked :)

Jr., I'm not about to criticize you for the way you killed your turkey. As long as it was legal where you are hunting, the ethics part is something YOU have to be comfortable with.

BUT, if you'll listen to mudhen and a few of the other folks on here and get yourself a few calls and work a bird within 40 yards and then shoot him in the head and neck with a load of #5's or #6's, you'll see that it's a whole different ballgame.

Congratulations, that's a very nice bird!!

Mudhen, your as bad as I am about how many calls you have. Everytime I buy another one my wife wants to know why I need it. "You already have 50 calls, why do you need another one?" She just doesn't understand! But your right about calling in a bird. That is what really got me hooked 22 years ago on hunting those critters. I have got to the point now where I am more excited about turkey season than deer season. Almost as much fun as..... now what was that I used to be able to do???? Danged if I can remember, but I know it was a lot of fun!

Sdk, I used Hevi-shot dead coyote rounds, not a rifle. I think it is fall that allows rifles. Now if I was using my 17, could have taken him at 200 and under. Then I really would have been bashed.

I'll get a turkey choke and "turkey" rounds this fall and do it your way, that should make you turkey worshipers happy. I don't worship the turkeys I hunt, I shoot them. ;)

Whoa, easy there turbo, I haven't bashed you that I'm aware of, nor do I have a desire to do so. My comment was to point out that long distance shots are for "rifles", not shotguns. Effective range for a shotgun, in my opinion, would be not much past 40 yards. Granted you can shoot some larger size shot and easily reach out and touch someone, but generally speaking, that isn't what turkey hunters are doing. Generally speaking they are calling the birds in closer, 40 yards and under, to take their shots.

I am certainly not opposed to anyone killing a turkey with a rifle. If that's what you want to do, fine, go right ahead. I personally don't want to. For me it hasn't just been about killing one, it's been about hunting them with a shotgun and calling them in to make the kill. After that I might try one with a bow, just to see if I can, but as far as the rifle and longer shots go? Yeah, I could have killed one long ago if that was how I wanted to hunt one.

To each their own. As long as the method you are using is legal and ethical, then I don't care. I haven't seen the bashing you said that took place, so maybe I'll go try to find that, but I'm guessing that maybe they were more trying to explain that an 80 yard shot with a shotgun could lead to a wounded bird, rather than a dead bird. Wounding an animal and loosing it in the woods gives a guy a really sick feeling, at least it does me, and so I work to avoid that at all costs.

Giving someone else advice that might be helpful shouldn't be viewed as bashing. Granted, some of these guys have a tendancy to put their point across rudely at times, rather than giving advice, but over-all I think they mean well.

Sdk, you made a nice point, and no I don't think any of us who commented intended to bash anyone. But your point boils down to one thing and that is respecting the game that you hunt, which is all part of being an ethical hunter. Nothing is worse than finding an animal that had been wounded and later died because of poor judgement. Ethics is a tough subject in here. Everyone here has their own set of values as defined by the way they were raised. Many who visit this site can remember the days when deer, turkeys and other game animals were scarce across this country due to poor management and poor conservation. In some respects we have more game now than I did as a youngster. When I was in my teens we didn't have any turkeys to speak of and seasons were closed. Now they have made a huge comeback thanks to conservation efforts of hunters and organizations like the NWTF. Hopefully there will be folks out there that will pay attention to the game we have today and take care of them for the generations to come. OK! I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jr,

You'll see a much better pattern using a turkey choke (.660-.680) with Dead Coyote. I use it for predators and am very pleased.

Also, as mentioned previously, be careful with that stuff in a hunting situation when everyone is camouflaged. It is very lethal at a much farther distance compared to turkey loads. I was on the receiving end of a load of 10 gauge #5s at 63 yards, luckily about 6 feet to my right. I didn't get hit, and if I did it probably wouldn't have killed me, but DC would have been a different story. It happens....

That was a joke Sdk, I wasn't able to put a smiley next to that. I got bashed a bit for using my 17 on two jakes a few months ago, thats why I mentioned that.

If you want the post that I got bashed a bit on, I'll pm it to you. But as I have stated several times, I thought the bird was closer, and even though he wasn't, the pattern can do it. I get great patterns at 60, 80 was a bit to far, but the bird is dead, and I won't do it again, 4 T shots in a 10 inch circle at 80, 4 t shots in the bird I shot. Now we can hear the end of this. :D

69 beers, you really used a 660 for DC? Seems like to much constriction for that large of shot, and its harder then lead.

Yeah, it likes a tight choke. My best pattern was out of a Rhino .673, but it shot about 1 1/2' to the right. I sent it back for a .660 since it was for turkey in the first place. The difference between the two is barely noticeable with DC, however, both shot far better patterns than the factory full.