High Maint. Rifle

parachute

I bought my R-1 300 WSM because I got to like automatics when I was in the Army. I served as a rifleman in the infantry ( 101 st. ABN. Div. ) in Vietnam during the 1968 TET Offensive. I had an M 16, I shot that thing for thousands on rounds. I have shot that thing till the gas tube was glowing red. I never had a malfunction, kept it clean, my life depended on that. I know the first M 16s had some problems, but after they got the bugs out, I loved mine, it kept me alive.

I've had a few little quirks with my R-1, but after reading some of these posts, I'm kind of getting buyers remorse. I'm concerned as to what to do.

Al

What issues are you having? I'm sure you'll find help here.

Well, I've had problems keeping it sighted in after cleaning, but my point is, reading Steve's post a bout the gas cylinder and then the rubber o- ring replacement. I just think that there seems to be to much maint.

I have a Remington model 8, 35 cal. auto made I think in 1908 that I've never had to do anything to but clean it. It's just not a long flat shooting caliber. I've killed a lot of bucks at short range with it.

Al

Just want to say that if I knew to clean under the gas rings I would not have had to replace the gas piston. The o-rings I damaged by removing the gas piston over them without removing them first. I have shot the rifle over 3 years and had very few issues with it. As far as your zero moving, could be many reason for that . Could be in your optics or the way it is mounted. I really like my R-1, I have carried it so much that it feels like a part of my arm now. To me it is a great 300 yards or less fast shooting, soft recoil, stay in the scope type rifle. I have taken a Ram at 400 yards but that is close to my max range. Hope you get to like yours better.

Steve

Based upon my experience, while the R1 has many wonderful attributes, maintenance issues as noted above require more than normal attention. Interestingly though, after I traded my R1 into to Cabelas for a Browning A-bolt, I had the same accuracy problems with the A-bolt as I had with the 300 WSM R1. Made me wonder if it was me...then I thought scope. I sent it back into Zeiss and it is now being replaced. Hopefully when I get it back on the A-bolt I find that I really can shoot. If that actually happens, while I still believe the R1 requires more maintenance than I wanted to give it, I may end up recanting my words about its accuracy.

I also had some reloading errors which were not related to cleaning. Cabelas told me that all WSM semis are more prone to auto loading errors than conventional cartridges.

For what it is worth, Cabelas gave me $750 for it....and promptly put it on the shelf for $1099. Right now I wish I had tried a different scope on the gun.

Jim