M-2 light loads

USAFA71

I am about to purchase an M-2 Comfortech 12 ga with 26"barrel and was wondering if anyone is having problems with the gun cycling with 7/8 oz loads. I reload and prefer to keep velocity around 1200 fps but can go higher for improved reliability. This also assumes the gun is broken in with a few hundred rounds of regular 1-1/8 oz loads first.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a Stoeger 2000. I reload with 7/8 oz shot in AA Win. hulls, titewad powder, 12L (gray) wads, loaded to 1450 fsp. The gun runs fine and the loads dust clay targets. My guess it would be a good hunting load also.

I found IC choke tube was was much more even than skeet tube.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the M-2 out last week to test it. The temperature was 17 degrees(F, not C!) To break the gun in, I shot four boxes of factory Nobel Sport 1-1/8 oz loads. Needless to say the gun worked fine, which is more than I can say for the nut behind the trigger. All loads functioned fine, with hulls hitting the ground about 6 ft away. Was not happy with the recoil, but that is just me.

I have four boxes of 1 oz reloads waiting for the weather to cooperate. Will try to get out today and will post the results. After the 1 oz loads, assuming they work, then will try the 7/8 oz loads. I anticipate the 7/8 oz loads will work, but will probably have to up the velocity a bit to compensate for the cold temperature. Will post results when I have them, as many are interested in using lighter loads also.

my M1 (12ga) shoots 7/8oz loads without any problems....i've even tried some wimpy 3/4oz loads (2-1/2")and they are sloooooowwww but she still cycles them! The M2 should be about the same once all is broken in and running "loose".......good luck!

PS - a 7/8oz load in a 20 gauge isn't light for a 20....3/4oz is a lighter 20 load....always a smart arse in the group!

Benelli has recommended minimum loads listed in their specifications for all 12 guage shotguns.

While many do cycle lighter loads, one should never buy one with the expectation of it doing so without fail.

Benelli will (not) warranty such a circumstance and you're basically gambling with your money.

If you want a 12 ga. that will consistently cycle light loads then you should consider a gas-operated shotgun designed to do so.

I did have a gas gun, a Beretta 391, and it would cycle well with loads as light as 3/4 oz at 1150 fps. But Beretta does not make a left-hand model, and Benelli does, so I traded. I already knew that the Benelli might not work with really light loads like the Beretta, but I just got tired of the hulls ejecting in front of my face, and decided that I didn't need to take it anymore! Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like!

I just got back from testing the 1 oz loads. Temperature was 25 F. Using Remington hulls, CB 1 oz wads, and WW 209 primers, using MEC bushings, the results were: #33 bushing(19.0gr H-Clays/1250 fps) worked fine. #31 bushing(17.0 gr H-Clays/1180 fps) worked fine, but hulls ejected about 2 ft away. #29 bushing(16.2 gr H-Clays/1150 fps) would not cycle. This was with 150 rds through the gun for break-in. I finished with a box of Remington Game Load 1 1/8 oz loads at 1145 fps, which ejected about 6 ft.

So with the gun not really broken in with only 150 rds through it, it will cycle with 1 oz loads just below 1200 fps. With more rounds through the gun, and warmer weather, I would expect the lighter loads to work better. I did not expect it to cycle as well as the Beretta(which had almost 4000 rds), and was not disappointed with how it handled the 1 oz loads. I will continue to shoot it with loads it likes, and after 500 rds I will try it with 7/8 oz loads down to 1150-1200 fps. I am confident that it will work with 7/8 oz loads at 1250 fps, which will satisfy my needs.

While I liked my Beretta 391, and shot it well, I really like the Benelli and I am glad I got it. Even if it won't work with loads as light as the Beretta, I am very happy not having hulls tossed in front of my face. While I know that you are supposed to watch the target, and therefore would not be distracted by the ejecting hull, as a left-handed shooter who has been "making do" with other guns all my life, I finally decided to "have it my way." I could not be any happier!

Once I get around to testing the 7/8 oz loads, I will post an update for those interested.

Best wishes,

Rusty

Rusty,

Thanks for the info, glad to here those 1 oz loads were shooting in the cold, too! It has been wicked cold here in Ohio the last couple of days and I'm dying to go shootin but more than likely will be hitting another gun show tomorrow instead....dirty job but somebody has to do it!

You been using ClayBuster wads long? I love em for my sporting clays loads.........

good luck with the new benelli!

10 Gauge

I have been using Clay Buster wads for about 10 years now, but they do seem to leave more plastic build-up on the choke tubes. I know that CB uses recycled plastic, which may be the cause of the build-up. Not that it is that hard to clean up. But lately I have been using DownRange wads, and I am very happy with them. They use virgin plastic, and I can notice the difference when I load them. The DR wads slip into the hull with much less resistance than the CB. I haven't shot them enough to comment on the plastic build-up, but others at Shotgun World say they don't leave as much. Time will tell!

Went out yesterday and tried some more 1 oz loads. We had a heat wave, and the temperature was up to 60 F. I tried 1 oz loads using a MEC #30 bushing of Clays(approx 16.5 gr) and it would cycle. Again the #29 bushing would not cycle. Maybe with some more break-in the #29 bushing loads will work, but it seems that the M-2 will work with 1 oz loads down to about 1150-1175 fps, which is what I wanted it to do. Now I have some 7/8 oz loads made up, and will post results when I can shoot again. As the Hodgdon manual starting loads for 7/8 oz loads using Clays powder are at 1200 fps, I doubt that the M-2 will cycle with loads that light. But I have some loaded up to about 1300 fps so we will see how it goes.

I would think that once the gun is broken in well, say around 1000 rounds, that the minimum loads could be dropped one bushing and still function. Only time will tell, and I will let you know how it goes. I never expected the M-2 to cycle loads as light as the Beretta 391, but we shall see how low we can go!

10 ga - The last loads I tried were with AA-HS and Remington Gun Club hulls. I have a source for free STS hulls, so from now on I will use those for most of my reloading. I pick up once fired Gun Club hulls at the skeet range because most people leave them, and since they reload just like the STS, I used to pick them up. So far the only disadvantage I have found to the Benelli, and it was the same with the Beretta 391, is that I am not wild about bending over to pick up the hulls after a few rounds of skeet. But now with free STS hulls, I won't worry about picking them up!

Looks like next week before I can get back out to try the 7/8 oz loads. Something about retiring from one job and starting another that keeps getting in the way of important things, like shooting! Will keep everyone posted when I have more results.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to Benelli's forums, but am excited to find this thread right off the bat. I also have a left-handed M2 12ga and have been having difficulty with it cycling light loads. It worked fine with 1 1/8 oz. loads, but with the price of shot, I have been loading 1 oz loads. Gun Club hulls, Fiocchi 209 primers, H-Clays, MEC 32 bushing with Windjammer wads. I am shooting both the Trap and Skeet 12 week winter leagues at my local club. My gun won't cycle/eject the 1 oz loads. I probably have 500-1000 rounds through my gun. Since I just bought a bag of 500 wads, I am just going to have to shoot my Browning Citori O/U for a few weeks. Or I might just have to buy a different powder bushing to increase the recoil :(. With the 1 oz loads, I barely feel it, which I like.

Like some of the rest of you, I also have been using CB wads, and noticed lots of plastic residue inside the barrel. I decided to try something else and went with Windjammer. The shot cup has more petals and is more flexible than the CB. Theoretically it should parachute out faster and not deform my shot string as much. It also loaded much easier than the CB...and if that was not enough, it was cheaper: $6.50 per 500.

Not that I am glad this is happening, but now I don't feel so alone. I am sure mine wouldn't cycle 7/8 oz loads unless I jacked up the fps a bunch. Otherwise I love the gun.

I wish Benelli would create some competition guns for Leftys ie. Supersport.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out to try the 7/8 oz loads. Temperature was around 75 degrees. Using a #33 bushing with H-Clays, the 7/8 oz loads worked fine. Using a #32 bushing, this time with a single stage reloader(all the other loadings were with a MEC progressive), all worked well. When I got home, I checked and the single stage press with the #32 bushing throws almost the exact same charge as the #33 bushing in the progressive press.

Hopefully next week I can try the same loads with a #32 bushing in the progressive, and will also try the #31 bushing. Since my normal 7/8 oz load uses the #30 bushing, I think I am happy with the results so far. I think that with the warm weather and a few more rounds through the gun, it should work well with 7/8 oz at about 1200 fps, which is what I am trying to achieve. Only time and more shooting will tell the story, so I will report back when I have more results.