Skeet shooters

Novaking

Hey,

I'm starting to shoot skeet more and I shoot with IC chokes. I'm shoot a steady 22 on the field now. Would it be worth the money to purchace skeet chokes. I know there is a differance in the pattern but is there that much of a differance.

thanks

Novaking

You may see a marginal benefit. However if your dialed in with your shooting it wouldnt matter if you had a mod choke in or cylinder, you would just see a lot more powdered birds. I am only an occasional trap and skeet shooter so for skeet I still use IC, if I got into a league then the skeet cylinder choke would be the better choice.

18 July 08

Save your money. I've purchased a couple Benelli Skeet tubes over the past year and they are identical in diameter to the IC tubes. The only reason I bought them was my Renaissance came with only IC, Mod and Full tubes and my brother bought a used Franchi 720 which only had the Mod. tube. I shoot 8-10 rounds of skeet a week and any choke between cylinder and IC is just fine. I have a couple O/Us and SxS guns with fixed IC/MOD barrels and TMAC is right, the MOD tube does just fine, it just grinds them finer.

DumbDuck

Skeet chokes should be 0.005 constriction, or about 0.725 ID.

IC is just a hair tighter.

When I shoot skeet with a 12 gauge, which is almost never, I shoot cylinder chokes.

Will it get you a bird that you wouldn't have gotten with an IC choke? I doubt it.

BTW, an 88% average, if you're just starting out, is pretty good.

If you really want to step your game up, get the video by Todd Bender from Sunrise Video. Excellent video for skeet shooting.

i use a modified, the same choke i hunt with. it seems to keep me a on my toes. it also seems to make the clays a little harder to hit. i kind of enjoy the challenge. and have used a full just for grins. there is no right or wrong really. its all about having a good time, and doing what ya like.

• 2 weeks later...

i can usually shoot a 22 or better and i like to see dust rather that just 2-3 pieces so i use the full choke.

i dont try to shoot 2' out of the trap house either i like to let um peak in altitude then turn um into dust.

alot of the other guys i know use the mod choke.

i shoot skeet with a modified, some times a full just spice it up. the only advantage i can see in a skeet tube vs a i/c or mod , is you can get them a little faster off the thrower,if your doing good with what you got, why change?my worst score with a mod is 88/100, my best is 96/100. "if it aint broke, dont fix it"