Choke Tubes?? Do I have it right?

greenhorn

Hey folks, I have a Condor O/U. I am attempting to get ready for my first ever Pheasant hunt. The Pheasant farm requires steel shot #4. I have never shot steel before. I have never bird hunted before. I have shot 800 rounds or so of lead through this gun. Can I start to shot steel? Will I damage the gun? I know that I need to switch the choke tubes. I called the local gun shop and ordered a Modified choke and an Improved Modified Choke for steel. I plan to but the Modified in the bottom (if I understand correctly this barrel fires first) and the Improved Modified in the Top. Did I order the correct size chokes for Pheasant hunting with Steel? Do I plan to put the chokes tubes in the correct barrel location? If understand correctly the Improved Modified Steel is equal to a Full in lead??? Thanks for helping me out!!

Can I start to shoot steel?

Yes

Will I damage the gun?

No

if I understand correctly this barrel (bottom) fires first

Correct

Steel shot patterns tighter than lead shot. That is, a choke tube that says "modified" on it, will throw something more like a full pattern when used with steel shot.

Note, what I am talking about is what the choke tubes pattern with lead. Often times, choke tubes will say, for example, "Modified - Lead/Full - Steel" That means, if you're using lead shot, this choke tube will throw a nominal modified pattern, but if you're using steel, it'll be more like a full choke.

Make sure you buy choke tubes that are suitable for use with steel shot.

If I were hunting pen-raised birds on a pheasant farm and had to use steel shot, I'd, frankly, use a skeet choke (which will generally throw an improved cylinder pattern when used with steel) in the bottom barrel and an improved cylinder choke (which will generally throw a modified pattern when used with steel) in the top barrel.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Hope you have a great time.

A pheasant flush is an exciting thing. Takes your breath away. I've been hunting since I was 11 years old, and still get goosebumps when I hear a rooster pheasant cackle and absolutely love the adrenaline rush when a dog goes on point and a rooster flushes.

I just spent 3 awesome days hunting wild birds in Western Kansas with a group of friends. There's nothing better, I think. ALMOST got a limit of both pheasants AND bobwhite quail on Saturday. Got 4 rooster pheasants and 6 bobwhite (limit in Kansas is 4 and 8 respectively.)

Be safe!! and remember all those things you learned in Hunter Education class.

It s more important that everyone comes home safely, than it is to get a lot of birds.

Edited by timb99

Thanks for help and information. I am in Michigan and many people from here go out west to Kansas, Dakotas and Iowa to bird hunt. I going to take your advice on choke tubes. So I need to ask the dealer for an Improved Cylinder steel and a Modified for steel? I understand that steel is harder and shoots a tighter pattern. I am confused about how to refer to the choke tubes.

We had a safe hunt and I got two birds. Cannot wait to go again!! This is true fun.

Thanks for help and information. I am in Michigan and many people from here go out west to Kansas, Dakotas and Iowa to bird hunt. I going to take your advice on choke tubes. So I need to ask the dealer for an Improved Cylinder steel and a Modified for steel? I understand that steel is harder and shoots a tighter pattern. I am confused about how to refer to the choke tubes.

We had a safe hunt and I got two birds. Cannot wait to go again!! This is true fun.

Greenhorn,

Most (but not all) choke tubes are referred to as to how they pattern with lead shot, not steel shot.

The most common chokes are, from tightest to most open:

Full

Improved Modified

Modified

Improved Cylinder

Skeet

Cylinder

Some people suggest that you should not use steel shot through a full or improved modified choke tube. Others say its OK. I don't hunt with steel that often, and I don't need that tight a pattern, so I don't worry about it.

A lead modified choke will throw a full pattern when used with steel.

A lead improved cylinder choke will throw a modified pattern when used with steel.

A lead skeet choke will throw an improved cylinder pattern when used with steel.

Most people, when you are talking about choke tubes, generally don't confuse the issue with steel. They just ask for a modified tube, and understand that when they shoot steel through it, it throws a full pattern.

Hope this makes sense.

I'd go to your dealer and ask for a skeet tube and an improved cylinder tube (your gun should have come with an IC choke already), and just make sure they're OK for use with steel shot. Most tubes on the market are suitable for both lead and steel. The factory Stoeger choke tubes are OK for steel.

Or, you could just use the IC choke in the bottom and modified choke in the top that already came with your gun, and be done with it.

Edited by timb99