Great Weekend in Western Kansas

timb99

Great weekend in Western Kansas with 7 friends.

Hunted last Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, all day Saturday, and half day Sunday morning near Ness City, Kansas.

ALMOST got a double bag limit of pheasant and bobwhite quail on Friday. Got 4 rooster pheasants and 6 quail. The limits in Kansas are 4 an 8, respectively.

Between the 8 of us, we bagged 41 roosters and 10 or 15 quail (we backed off the quail to make sure we left plenty for the landowner's son to hunt them.)

I gotta tell you, the sound of a rooster pheasant cackling, or a pheasant flush, or a bobwhite flush gives me SUCH a rush!

Great weekend in Western Kansas with 7 friends.

Hunted last Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, all day Saturday, and half day Sunday morning near Ness City, Kansas.

ALMOST got a double bag limit of pheasant and bobwhite quail on Friday. Got 4 rooster pheasants and 6 quail. The limits in Kansas are 4 an 8, respectively.

Between the 8 of us, we bagged 41 roosters and 10 or 15 quail (we backed off the quail to make sure we left plenty for the landowner's son to hunt them.)

I gotta tell you, the sound of a rooster pheasant cackling, or a pheasant flush, or a bobwhite flush gives me SUCH a rush!

MAN!!!! There is not that many pheasants in all of Illinois. I still go though. I get only maybe 2 birds all season. Good for you.

nice looking dog!!

Thanks. That's "Her Royal Highness Princess Katarina Phasianus Colchicus"

a.k.a. Katie

Unlike many hunting dogs, she is also the family house pet.

She sleeps on the bed with my wife when I'm away on business trips.

Also unlike many German Shorthaired Pointers, she's very low key.

She's almost 10 years old now.

Get this...we got her at the local animal haven. She was a stray.

She's a great dog.

Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt in Kansas (I intend to get back there some day). Now for a boost for Illinois hunters. This past Saturday my two brothers and their English Setter went pheasant hunting in a fairly strong wind with about one inch of snowfall in central Illinois. One got his limit (two roosters), but perhaps the other would have gotten one rooster with some better shooting (he did get a Mallard hen). The good news was that they saw at least three dozen pheasants (and half were roosters). Naturally, at this point of the season most of the pheasants were flushing at 70+ yards minimum. If I got the story right, at one farm, about 18 pheasants flushed (well out of range) almost at once. This was the most pheasants sighted in one day's hunt by any of us in a decade. The two pheasants dressed proved to be quite nice birds (one was just huge, and it bird had nice spurs, but they were not as long as the other's).