Which choke for buckshot? - M2

RedM2

I have the M2 and I was wondering which choke would work best for buckshot? Someone mentioned that I might want to use a full choke... I've never used buckshot before, only slugs, so I don't know the first thing about buckshot.

Any help is much appreciated!

I have the M2 and I was wondering which choke would work best for buckshot? Someone mentioned that I might want to use a full choke... I've never used buckshot before, only slugs, so I don't know the first thing about buckshot.

Any help is much appreciated!

start with cylinder and work your way forward.

I use a Kicks Industries Buckkicker choke tube in extra full with federal 3 inch 00 buck. Make sure that you get the shell that has 15 pellets instead of 12. The federal buckshot with 12 pellets has a full length wad and seams to disturb the pattern in both of the m2's that I have. I have 1 with a 26 in. barrel and 1 with a 24 in. barrel. At least this is what I have found to work the best. I hunt near Richmond, Va. and buckshot is all you can use, so I have done a fair amount of testing to get as much range as I can. I love the M2 it always goes boom.

What type of buckshot are we talking? I did hunt in MS behind deer dogs & 00 buck may be O.K. for that. For the most part buckshot is about the last thing I would use on deer. If it's a shotgun I'd go slugs.

I shoot #4 buck out of a Trulock 'precision hunter' in my M2 for predator hunting. It is a .675 or so constriction, between normal full & the tightest of turkey chokes. I also use that choke for turkey hunting. For 00 buck I would try Mod to maybe full. For the smaller buckshot I would go full to a little tighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Buckshot.

I buy and test huge quantities of buckshot across a battery of shotguns ..Benelli, Remington, some Winchester, Mossberg mainly.

It kinda my thing.....or, one of my things anyway...

Best long range tightest patterns...

Federal FliteControl buckshot ammo...use cylinder, skeet or improved choke, no tighter needed, and you don't need ported choke tubes

Second best, tightest long range patterns...

nickel plated buckshot loadings

Fiocchi 9 pellet full power is good.

test any available nickel plated loadings.

Remington is ok, when you can find it.

Less shot deformation, better pattern

Copper plated buckshot is just pretty, doesn't add anything to the grouping ability.

For nickel plated or standard unplated buckshot, I always seem to end up with the full, or extra full choke constrictions that are fully ported.....shooting tightest / best at long range. Doesn't seem to be one thats best however, what has provided the tightest groups accross the board, in a variety of guns with a variety of buckshot, ...in my guns...has been the long ported Primos Jelly head choke tube....actually more of a Turkey choke tube, but has been a great performer with various buckshot in various guns.

Again, don't use the tight constricted type of choke with the Federal Flite Control buckshot loadings, the shot cup carries the pellets down field then releases them. You do nothing but potentially damage the shot and shot carrier by using any tighter constriction than noted above, with the Flite Control buckshot ammo.

Have fun

Paul

Some additional notes.....00 buck is not the end all to good patterns so....

Do test some of the 000 loadings.

Test a box or so of the 000 offerings in the 3" 000 like the Winchester Supreme or some such.

Or, the Federal 3" 00 with flite control for increased pellet count

000 does sometimes shoot tighter. and of course hits plenty hard for whatever, hunting etc.

Paul