New Gun

jrdjr45

I bought a Montefeltro 12 to replace a 1100 20. The 1100 has a 26" barrel and improved cylinder I hit three birds with one shot at about 20 yards over my springer at a pheasant farm. I wanted a tighter patter for longer shots at public land pheasant and changed the 12 with a 28" barrel to full. I was shooting 6's. I went back to the pheasant farm and did not hit four pheasants with three shots each, same dog and the same distance. I am thinking I need to open the pattern up eaithe a modified or improved.

I bought a Montefeltro 12 to replace a 1100 20. The 1100 has a 26" barrel and improved cylinder I hit three birds with one shot at about 20 yards over my springer at a pheasant farm. I wanted a tighter patter for longer shots at public land pheasant and changed the 12 with a 28" barrel to full. I was shooting 6's. I went back to the pheasant farm and did not hit four pheasants with three shots each, same dog and the same distance. I am thinking I need to open the pattern up eaithe a modified or improved.

Congrats on your purchase!! What did that Monty cost you may I ask?

The Benellis will typically shoot higher than the Remingtons.

Check your patterns on a board.

Europeans like to sight the full target above the bead.

Americans like to cover the target with the muzzle.

Eurpoeans...and guys who shoot lots of trap.

I'd agree with tucker. Take that Montefeltro out and pattern it at, say, 35 or 40 yards. The issue here is probably more about gun fit and point of impact than it is about which choke you're using.

Don't try to do your patterning off-hand. Use a bench rest, but try to see the same sight picture you see when you mount the gun normally.

Don't worry too much about what choke you are using. If you're on, you're on.

A modified choke works well for most circumstances when hunting wild pheasants.

IC for pen raised birds over dogs.