28" or 30" barrell?

Maca

The real answer is, whichever one you like better.

The prevailing wisdom in both trap and skeet is longer is better. BUT, most people who shoot trap and skeet shoot break action guns, not semi-autos.

A longer barrel puts more weight out in front of you which (can) smooth out your swing and will give you a long sight plane.

I use a 32" O/U for trap and a 30" O/U for skeet and sporting clays.

But, if you watched the video, you know, a semi-auto like a Superport is going to be a longer gun simply because of the receiver length.

My hunting semi-auto with a 26" barrel is the same overall length as my 30" over/under.

My daughter's Remington 1100 with a 30" trap barrel is longer overall length than my 32" over/under.

Some people don't like the added weight out front that a longer barrel gives you, others say it makes their swing smoother and less jerky.

There's no "right" answer. The answer is whatever you feel most comfortable with. Go to your nearest store that has that gun with both barrel lengths and shoulder it. See if they'll let you try it out (some will but most won't.)

Ballistically and pattern-wise, there's virtually no difference.

But, which one 28” or 30”? Two people told me 28”. However I have read in two books that 30” should be better for both, trap and skeet.

Be very careful here, as the 30" package is VERY long! (like a 34" o/u) My 28" is actually much longer than my 30" o/u, so give them both a feel before you make your decision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Be very careful here, as the 30" package is VERY long! (like a 34" o/u) My 28" is actually much longer than my 30" o/u, so give them both a feel before you make your decision.

I agree, 30" is a long auto...when i bought my 30" Mancino E i struggled to get a gunslip to fit it.....however it's a superb gun......