After Market Choke Tubes for Shotgun Sports?

Hoosier Hillbilly

I am considering getting a few extended choke tubes for use in my SBE II in the clay game applications. I own some briley choke tubes I use in an old 11-87 and have no complaints about these. But I have also read that some seem like the Comp-n-Choke choke tubes in a Benelli. I am curious what others are using and whether or not they like/prefer what they are using relative to, say, the flush factory tubes.

I am considering getting a few extended choke tubes for use in my SBE II in the clay game applications. I own some briley choke tubes I use in an old 11-87 and have no complaints about these. But I have also read that some seem like the Comp-n-Choke choke tubes in a Benelli. I am curious what others are using and whether or not they like/prefer what they are using relative to, say, the flush factory tubes.

www.choketube.com

these are great chokes. I use them for skeet and hunting.

I recently acquired a Briley extended light mod. choke for my Cordoba and patterned it just this weekend. Shooting 7 1/2 Peters loads at 30 yards resulted in 86% of pellets within a 30" target; the majority of shot in the upper 3/4 of the circle. At 20 yards 100% of shot was within the 30" target, the vast majority of that was within a 10" radius of the center. (a little tight but not bad). I have not yet patterned the new choke at 40 yards, but I plan on using it on several sporting clay stations where the pairs are close in and up to 35 yards distant. Of course if I had an O/U ........

As for the price .. a less expensive choke may be just as good as an expensive one, based on my limited experience the individual choke, the shotgun and the load all need to be patterened as a unit to determine if it is what you are looking for.

I recently acquired a Briley extended light mod. choke for my Cordoba and patterned it just this weekend. Shooting 7 1/2 Peters loads at 30 yards resulted in 86% of pellets within a 30" target; the majority of shot in the upper 3/4 of the circle. At 20 yards 100% of shot was within the 30" target, the vast majority of that was within a 10" radius of the center. (a little tight but not bad). I have not yet patterned the new choke at 40 yards, but I plan on using it on several sporting clay stations where the pairs are close in and up to 35 yards distant. Of course if I had an O/U ........

As for the price .. a less expensive choke may be just as good as an expensive one, based on my limited experience the individual choke, the shotgun and the load all need to be patterened as a unit to determine if it is what you are looking for.

I use the Briley extended light modified for quail AND dove. Best pattern from my gun... and I tested many.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been shooting my SBE 2 with both briley and comp n choke ported chokes with great success. I can tell a difference in noise however, with the comp n choke tubes when not wearing protection(no big deal). I have also found that all ported chokes I have tried have consistently paterned a little better than non ported ones, of course making sure that my ammo was the same throughout.

do you need crio chokes if your barrel is crio treated or can you use regular chokes in a crio barrel please help me i need a new choke

Hey Vinci,

No, you don't. There may be a statistical difference between the two, but I seriously doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two chokes.

The only reason I am considering cryo treating my shotgun barrel & chokes is because I may send a custom .270 to the same lab & there was a discount listed for a second gun.

Like MontePro mentioned, the light modified Briley (extended/ported) looks extremely useful to me and is more convenient than the factory flush mount chokes. The improved modified (one constriction tighter than modified I believe) will also be one I will get.

Cryo treating rifle & pistol barrels has shown some accuracy improvement, but I really would not expect much more than personal gear geek satisfaction from the Crio tubes vs identical ported / extended Briley chokes.

The biggest concern on aftermarket add on's I have seen is from barrel anomoly syndrome where tacky stickers have been applied.

In some cases the additional mass of the sticker affects the charge as it goes down the barrel. Can screw up patterns & the gravity generated by the sticker can sometimes draw a nearby shooters vision to the sticker affecting shot tragectory of those around the gun in question.

No, not at all.

Cryo treating metal causes changes at the molecular level, creating a smoother, more uniform surface for the bore.

Velocities go up & groups come down a bit as a result of the greater uniformity & micro aligning of the structure of the metal.

Your barrel won't know the difference. Your wallet will. We are only talking about the chokes being treated.