scope for sluggin

ishootkittens

I have a benelli supernova (as you all may have noticed from my countless posts on other sections because I am an idiot) and Im having it drilled and tapped as we speak and I am using a 423m weaver style mount but I have a small problem. I CANT find the scope i want! I have found some really nice "riflescopes" but I dont know if they will go on my shotgun. I wanted something in the range of 2-7X32 or maybe a 1.75-4X32. I wanted this type of thing because not only do I turkey hunt with this gun, I also deer hunt with slugs in a smoothbore barrel so If i can get a scope that will let me see plain out to about 80 yards but will let me zoom out to see clear enough at 20 to kill a turkey then it will be the scope for me. I just want something that is shock resistant and something that wont smack my eye everytime I shoot! Thank you all for your help and time.

I was actually looking at a bushnell trophy..

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... hy/731421/

I have a benelli supernova (as you all may have noticed from my countless posts on other sections because I am an idiot) and Im having it drilled and tapped as we speak and I am using a 423m weaver style mount but I have a small problem. I CANT find the scope i want! I have found some really nice "riflescopes" but I dont know if they will go on my shotgun. I wanted something in the range of 2-7X32 or maybe a 1.75-4X32. I wanted this type of thing because not only do I turkey hunt with this gun, I also deer hunt with slugs in a smoothbore barrel so If i can get a scope that will let me see plain out to about 80 yards but will let me zoom out to see clear enough at 20 to kill a turkey then it will be the scope for me. I just want something that is shock resistant and something that wont smack my eye everytime I shoot! Thank you all for your help and time.

I was actually looking at a bushnell trophy..

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... hy/731421/

You can use rifle scopes on a shotgun, but they may not have enough eye relief. IMO Luepold is the best, and I would be fine with a busnell or a nikon. Check out this link to shot gun scopes:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?Ntk=Products&QueryText=shotgun+scope&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&nyr=1&Ne=5233&N=4899+5234&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

yeah that is what i was afraid of. I know an inch is alot but the Bushnell scope I was looking at has a 4.1 clearance and the nikon you showed me had a 5 inch. My gun doesnt kick hard at all and I just wanted to know if A rifle scope was okay.. and if so would 4.1 be enough. I dont want to get my bell rung. Ive had it done before. LEupold does make the best scope in my opinion. But they are so damned expensive and my nelli is a smoothbore with a rifled choke and I dont expect it to give me pin point accuracy anyway. I just want something cheep that will hold its aim point when shoot heavy loads like 3" slugs.. or 3 and 1/2" turkey loads. It says on the website that the bushnell is completely shockproof and waterproof. So i figured I would go with that. Just seeing what you guys thought.

yeah that is what i was afraid of. I know an inch is alot but the Bushnell scope I was looking at has a 4.1 clearance and the nikon you showed me had a 5 inch. My gun doesnt kick hard at all and I just wanted to know if A rifle scope was okay.. and if so would 4.1 be enough. I dont want to get my bell rung. Ive had it done before. LEupold does make the best scope in my opinion. But they are so damned expensive and my nelli is a smoothbore with a rifled choke and I dont expect it to give me pin point accuracy anyway. I just want something cheep that will hold its aim point when shoot heavy loads like 3" slugs.. or 3 and 1/2" turkey loads. It says on the website that the bushnell is completely shockproof and waterproof. So i figured I would go with that. Just seeing what you guys thought.

Yea I know what you mean. I think if you have more than 3" of eye relief you should be fine, 4" is plenty.

I love the idea of a rifle scope on a shotgun that is dedicated to being a slug gun with a full rifled barrel but I would suggest checking out red dot sights for your SuperNova. They are not too expensive and although you are looking for some zoom (which they dont have) the dot does represent a 3" area @ 100 yrds or better (depending on the red dot sight). I really enjoyed the TruGlo I put on my Rem 870. Dead on @ 100 yrds, Perfect for what I was doing. I have only done minor research on the red dots available for the SuperNova but wasnt interested, I mean if I need one I have a setup on the 870 and it totally killed shooting clays and birds so I said f it.

WTF! get the **** outta here! haha.. anyway to the other serious replies... Thanks for all your feed back. I dont really like the fact that batteries are necessary for red dots and that they dont zoom at all. I will be deer hunting and turkey hunting. the reason I chose this scope is the reticle and eye relief. The recticle is a Circle-X which means regular ordinary crosshairs with a circle in the midde that joins the 4 crosses.I was hoping to use the crosshairs as a guidline for where my slug is going to hit, and the circle for a guidline for where my group of shot will end up when I shoot at turkeys.

I love the idea of a rifle scope on a shotgun that is dedicated to being a slug gun with a full rifled barrel but I would suggest checking out red dot sights for your SuperNova. They are not too expensive and although you are looking for some zoom (which they dont have) the dot does represent a 3" area @ 100 yrds or better (depending on the red dot sight). I really enjoyed the TruGlo I put on my Rem 870. Dead on @ 100 yrds, Perfect for what I was doing. I have only done minor research on the red dots available for the SuperNova but wasnt interested, I mean if I need one I have a setup on the 870 and it totally killed shooting clays and birds so I said f it.

Wait, you shoot wing and clays w/ a scope with good results?

Wait, you shoot wing and clays w/ a scope with good results?

Heck no, that's why I have a dedicated shotgun with a red dot sight and my SuperNova for Clays, Birds, etc. I tried shooting some clays for fun with the red dot sight on the 870 and it was nearly impossible, but still fun to try.

+1 on a decent red dot.

The Vortex Strikefire that I have on my AR would be a nice choice.

Choose red or green, with varying brightness levels.

The dot is 2 MOA at 100 yards.

Magnification is 1X.

Unlimited eye relief.

Shoot with both eyes opened!

Shooting with both eyes open is a def. must! Good Call.

but i not only want to hunt turkey with this, but i planned on deer thumping with this setup. I will need some zoom IMO. Just so I can see the deer's vitals at 60-80 yards. I found a bushnell Dusk/Dawn shotgun scope and everything was perfect. Except the reviews. I didnt like the way people were talking about how inaccurate it was and how it was impossible to sight in correctly. What do you guys think.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat20760&id=0024531711682a&navCount=38&podId=0024531&parentId=cat20760&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20760&hasJS=true

but i not only want to hunt turkey with this, but i planned on deer thumping with this setup. I will need some zoom IMO. Just so I can see the deer's vitals at 60-80 yards. I found a bushnell Dusk/Dawn shotgun scope and everything was perfect. Except the reviews. I didnt like the way people were talking about how inaccurate it was and how it was impossible to sight in correctly. What do you guys think.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat20760&id=0024531711682a&navCount=38&podId=0024531&parentId=cat20760&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20760&hasJS=true

That guy that said he bore sighted it must think the slug shoots where a lazer lined up with the bore would, wrong. I don't like bore sighting, It is only good to get the gun on the target, not on the bull's eye. There were multiple reviews saying it broke from heavy loads. They didn't specify how it broke though, but Cabelas is excellent for returning. Every thing I have ordered from them came in in 3 days. 4.2 out of 5 out of 20 reviews is a pretty good review I would go for it if it has every thing you want. Any body saying it is impossible to sight in must have not tightened it down enough. A torque screw driver would be handy for that.

Well I have looked over just about all the possiblities and I did find a nikon with everything i want. And cheaper.. But I have looked at many different sites containing this scope. Its a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun hunter 2-7X32 but some said the scope was shockproof and some didnt. I Dont know who is telling the truth or not. I was wondering if you guys have tried or heard of this scope. Is it shockproof? Is it worth 130$

Well I have looked over just about all the possiblities and I did find a nikon with everything i want. And cheaper.. But I have looked at many different sites containing this scope. Its a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun hunter 2-7X32 but some said the scope was shockproof and some didnt. I Dont know who is telling the truth or not. I was wondering if you guys have tried or heard of this scope. Is it shockproof? Is it worth 130$

It has excellent reviews, 4.8 out of 160 at cabelas. I would have more concern over eye relief than shock proof, because some reviews were bad about eye relief. But I would go for it if I was looking for a shotgun scope of that magnification and price. It may not be perfect, or may have a defect, but deer season will be here before you know it. One time when I was small, I was fishing with my dad and I was trying to decide which bait would be perfect, like you are doing with the scope. Then my dad asked if I was taking so long because I couldn't find a good bait and I said yes. Then my dad said I wasn't going to catch anything unless I got a bait in the water. So I think you need to put that scope on your gun and if it doesn't go right then cabelas has an excellent return policy.