Just got a Stoeger Model 2000

gibsonhoyt

I just got a new Stoeger Model 2000 12ga and can't seem to hit anything with it. (hunting doves) I have tried several diffrent choke tubes and it does not seem to help. I am not sure what I am doing but I can pick up my 20 ga benelli and hit every bird I shoot at. Any suggestions?

Is doves the first things you have shot at with the gun? I would shoot clays have a friend throw them or get a $20 thrower and get used to how it shoots. Try shooting under the bird more than usual, try shooting over the bird more than usual and take time on your shots. Your gun may shoot higher or lower than your 20 ga so you need to pattern the two guns and check the POI (point of impact) 3 shots with the desired choke and a fairly close distance with a large unfolded box should work.

Pattern with a tight pattern. It will tell you better where you point of impact is centered.

Use a bench rest, or kneeleing if a bench rest is not available. That way you don't introduce any flinch or movement that might occur shooting off-hand.

If you want to establish ONLY point of impact, shoot at about 13 to 15 yards. That will tell you where your gun is shooting, but not what your pattern looks like.

I just got a new Stoeger Model 2000 12ga and can't seem to hit anything with it. (hunting doves) I have tried several diffrent choke tubes and it does not seem to help. I am not sure what I am doing but I can pick up my 20 ga benelli and hit every bird I shoot at. Any suggestions?

maybe it's just the shooter ;)

Could still be the gun. I won an "off-brand" semi-auto at a Pheasants Forever banquet. Took it to the pattern board and off a bench rest, the center of the pattern was 6 inches low and 2 inches left at 30 yards.

Put an adjustable comb on it, and now it shoots where I want it to.

Ok, I patterned at 30 yards with a modified choke. The gun is shooting low. I would say 3/4 of the pattern was below the target. So I either need to aim high or lower my eye (rear sight). Is there any other suggestions?

Add some height to your comb mole skin will work.

EDIT: I prefer about 3/4 of my pattern above the aiming point, but your shooting style may vary. I recommend at least 1/2 the shot above aiming point.

Ok, I patterned at 30 yards with a modified choke. The gun is shooting low. I would say 3/4 of the pattern was below the target. So I either need to aim high or lower my eye (rear sight). Is there any other suggestions?

Cheek your shots. If you can see the holes or ribs in your vented ribbed barrel than your eye is too high. Were you shooting from a bench?

gibsonhoyt,

You have it backwards.

Like trapshooter1 said, if your gun is shooting too low, you need to RAISE the rear sight (a.k.a. your eye) to get it to shoot higher, not lower it!

The only way to do that is to make the comb higher. The cheap way is what trapshooter1 suggested. Go to the local drug store and buy some Dr. Scholl's moleskin. The stuff you put over foot blisters.

Go to the range, and add two or three thicknesses of moleskin to the comb. Shoot some patterns, and when the center of the pattern is a little higher than your bead, you'll be pretty close to where you want to be.

As a reference, you might pattern your 20 gauge to see where its POI is, and if you're happy shooting that gun, try to get the M2000 to shoot to the same POI.

There are also aftermarket "Cheek-Eez" pads that do the same thing. They're kind of like a mouse pad that you stick to your comb with an adhesive.

Or, you could go the expensive route, and if you have a wooden stock, have someone add an adjustable comb for you.

Well, I tried somthing that has not been mentioned yet and that is to add space to the bottom of my recoil pad. I took the pad off and put washers on the bottom. It seems to bring the front end of my gun up we will see what it does when I get home and shoot it.

I got the idea from a guy at work and from seeing a pitch spacer that kick eez makes.

I will pattern my 20 ga tonight also and see where it is hitting at. Thanks for all the info guys!

Changing the pitch of the recoil pad doesn't change where your cheek bone meets the comb, nor where your eye is in relationship to the barrel.

Pitch is a "comfort" thing that allows the recoil pad to be fully engaged with your shoulder pocket, and not digging in to your pectoral muscle AND if done correctly can reduce face slap (which, if I read this correctly, you may have just made worse.)

Let us know how it works out.

Changing the pitch of the recoil pad doesn't change where your cheek bone meets the comb, nor where your eye is in relationship to the barrel.

Pitch is a "comfort" thing that allows the recoil pad to be fully engaged with your shoulder pocket, and not digging in to your pectoral muscle AND if done correctly can reduce face slap (which, if I read this correctly, you may have just made worse.)

Let us know how it works out.

Depending on how you shoulder it changing the pitch can change POI. If you shoulder it pointing strait, it may not make a difference, if you shoulder it with the recoil pad lined up and then worry about pointing it can make a difference.

• 1 month later...

ok, back to first post...

the first thing you have to look at is if the gun fits you.. it dose not matter if you spend way too much or just buy a cheap gun ---- ok if it does not fit you you can pattern it till the cows come home.... the most important thing is when you shoulder it (with both eyes open) then close the eye away from the gun ----- you need to be looking up the barrel --ok-- not off to one side or the other and not just the end of the barrel ---- the gun must fit you --- if it does not then you need to make the gun . or get a different gun---- its that simple -- dont over think this.....

...it dose not matter if you spend way too much or just buy a cheap gun...

I've been down the cheap gun road. I bought a charles daly semi auto and I could not ever get that thing to shoot more than once because it always jammed. I was trying to save money but ended up loosing money. Also you cant always just say I know I am already in debt but I bought that $5000 gun because it fit right. You can't always afford a wide selection of guns and fit isn't the only factor. Patterning lets you know how your gun shoots and you can adapt to it by shooting clays given time and patience.