Hunting Calls for White Tailed Deer

tyson129

I am picking up a new set of calls this year after years of using hand me downs. If you hunters would be so nice let everyone know what you will be using along with the pros and cons.

My lineup this year:

The Kruncher (Hunter's Specialties)

Snort Wheezer (Knight & Hale)

Easy Estrus Bleat Model 711 "The Can" (Primos)

I have not tried the first two but have seen them in some hunting shows and they seemed to really work well (keeping in mind they are Pros and you can do a lot of Magic in the Editing Room). And I'm sure you have all picked up a bleat can at some point. But after doing a lot of research this is what I want to try this year. Let me know if you all have tried any of these because I would love to hear the good, bad, and ugly before I purchase the new gear.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

I use a rattling bag, the can, and a grunt call.

Nice Tucker, I'm planning on getting really aggressive this year with my calling techniques to try and pull in a really seclusive buck who we haven't got a shot at in the last 3 years. This monster's prints tend to disappear down into the thick nasty brush and into our swamps come hunting season. I'm hoping some real dominant snorts and grunts with some rattling will pull him out.

As far as the doe calls go I think I'm going to try the Quaker Boy Squeezin' Bleat because I can use it with my foot while I do grunts as if to create multiple deer communicating at the same time. It was recommended from a great hunter recently and it looks like the call for me :).

Still making adjustments to my gear list, he11 I have another month to get it all finalized (Due to the fact that I haven't taken the Archery Hunter's Safety Course which Maine requires to get your extended archery license)

Best of Luck and Thanks for the responses!

Nice Tucker, I'm planning on getting really aggressive this year with my calling techniques to try and pull in a really seclusive buck who we haven't got a shot at in the last 3 years. This monster's prints tend to disappear down into the thick nasty brush and into our swamps come hunting season. I'm hoping some real dominant snorts and grunts with some rattling will pull him out.

As far as the doe calls go I think I'm going to try the Quaker Boy Squeezin' Bleat because I can use it with my foot while I do grunts as if to create multiple deer communicating at the same time. It was recommended from a great hunter recently and it looks like the call for me :).

Still making adjustments to my gear list, he11 I have another month to get it all finalized (Due to the fact that I haven't taken the Archery Hunter's Safety Course which Maine requires to get your extended archery license)

Best of Luck and Thanks for the responses!

Good choice, my man! You won't be dissappointed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Thread was to stimulate talk about calls not hunting tactics and environmental factors. These threads and posts are here to help new and advanced hunters alike. In this thread I was hoping to get people talking about their gear and how they use it during the different times of the year. I guess people don't like sharing tips with others as much as I do.

This year I am using all Quaker Boy products. I will be using the Ridge Runner and I decided to go with the Bleat in Heat over the Squeezin' Bleat. Both are Freeze Proof, which I need due to the extreme cold temperatures that I hunt in up here in Maine so that played a roll in my decision. Also I read a lot about them and went into my local hunting store and tried them out. I felt the most comfortable with these calls and liked the sounds that they made. The Ridge Runner for example generated a huge array of vocalization that were extremely realistic, and it was very easy to use. It also was ideal for pre-rut and the rut so I liked its versatility.

I went with the Heat in Bleat because it literally makes a perfect doe in heat bleat call every time, and in comparison to the Squeezin' Bleat I knew that I would not scare off the deer while I tried to learn how to use it. I will be picking up the Squeezin' Bleat for next year though, which will give me a year to practice, but with the season starting this Saturday I have no time to mess around.

Doesn't seem like many care about the calls or want to share what tools they will be using and that is OK. Just please only contribute if you care to help others know the products that are out there and how you may be using them.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!