SBEII for Bear???

GBMotorsports

A friend of mine asked to me to act as a back up on his upcoming black bear archery hunt. I was planning on carrying a .300 WM bolt action rifle. He suggested using my Super black eagle II loaded with slugs. This would be nice because I can also hunt for turkeys at the same time.

It just sounds odd to me, but has anybody here used there shotgun on a black bear with slugs?

A friend of mine asked to me to act as a back up on his upcoming black bear archery hunt. I was planning on carrying a .300 WM bolt action rifle. He suggested using my Super black eagle II loaded with slugs. This would be nice because I can also hunt for turkeys at the same time.

It just sounds odd to me, but has anybody here used there shotgun on a black bear with slugs?

slugs would fine for black bear. Get some solids that won't expand. But, check your local laws. In my state, you can't have slugs on your person when turkey hunting.

slugs would fine for black bear. Get some solids that won't expand. But, check your local laws. In my state, you can't have slugs on your person when turkey hunting.

Thanks! I just checked the regs and didnt see anything specifically saying I cant have slugs on me while bird hunting. I would be going first and foremost as back up for my friend. The Turkey hunting would probably only happen if he tags a bear before the week is over. In which case, I would not need to have the slugs on me. I was going to to post the link to our regs but I dont have enough posts yet. Damn't anyways.

Any particular type of slugs you would recommend?

Thanks! I just checked the regs and didnt see anything specifically saying I cant have slugs on me while bird hunting. I would be going first and foremost as back up for my friend. The Turkey hunting would probably only happen if he tags a bear before the week is over. In which case, I would not need to have the slugs on me. I was going to to post the link to our regs but I dont have enough posts yet. Damn't anyways.

Any particular type of slugs you would recommend?

I've never had to defend myself off from bears before. But like I said, hard hitting (3 inch) and solid slugs. Chances of you have to shoot one will be slim to none. Black bears are more scared of you than you are for them.

• 2 months later...

For bear "defense" check out Dupleks slugs. They are made from steel with nylon rings on them so they dont junk the bore, they come in non expanding and an expanding frangiable. I keep some on hand for bear duty (1 1/8 oz non expanding) and when shot through my 18.5" Nova they were more accurate than standard Federals. I was able to hold a 5" group at 50yards.

The only downside i see with these compared to the Breneke is velocity. Your only looking at i think 1450fps. But being a non expanding chunk of steel i think it would have no problem punching a grizzly's brain case...

Edited by dillonious

For bear "defense" check out Dupleks slugs. They are made from steel with nylon rings on them so they dont junk the bore, they come in non expanding and an expanding frangiable. I keep some on hand for bear duty (1 1/8 oz non expanding) and when shot through my 18.5" Nova they were more accurate than standard Federals. I was able to hold a 5" group at 50yards.

The only downside i see with these compared to the Breneke is velocity. Your only looking at i think 1450fps. But being a non expanding chunk of steel i think it would have no problem punching a grizzly's brain case...

Where do you get those dupleks slugs? It looks like they are made in Latvia, and I didnt seem see them available anywhere in the US

MidwayUSA has them. Or if you submit some simple paperwork AIM Surplus sells them for less...

Asfar as accuracy goes, im not the best shotgunner so im sure these slugs will do more. Also i do all my shooting off hand with a sling as support so if your shooting from a rest, my groups will probly be bigger and lastly im sure i take a bit of a hit by shooting from an 18.5" barrel. Anyway im done making excuses now:p

Edited by dillonious