What is a inexpensive and reliable rifle for big game hunting in North America?

Guest EllysePerry

Guest EllysePerry

Also I would like something where the ammo is readily available, it is hard for me to find bullets for my mauser and they are getting more expensive.

I personally am a fan of the .300 win mag, but if your looking for something where the ammo is cheaper, the .30-06 would be a great choice. You can find a load combo for pretty much everything in N. America. If your OK with buying a used gun, I would do that. Then spend as much as you can afford on a good scope. Otherwise I would be looking at some Savage/Reminigton rifles. That Stevens Tucker recommended Is built by savage and would be a great, no frills hunting rifle. I know the MSRP is over $400, but all the local gun stores sell them for under $300.

As far as scopes go, I would be looking at a Leupold VX-3 or Nikon as they would probabkly be in your budget.

A lot of the Stevens model 200's come equipped in a package around here, you usually find them mated with a Tasco or Bushnell scope. I would preferr to just purchase the gun and put a better quality scope on it.

From what I have heard this model shoots very nicely right out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lboongon123

Perazzi MX12 Pro

Also I would like something where the ammo is readily available, it is hard for me to find bullets for my mauser and they are getting more expensive.